Thursday, 18 January 2024

Random (very) thoughts

 We have the promised snow. Not much but enough to make me wonder if I should cancel an appointment later.

I'm loving the scent of my hyacinths, which turned out to be blue, as I had thought. I wish they would grow evenly.


A dear friend has just dropped in to see me, making me realise how fortunate I am to have lovely people around.

The bluetits have been investigating the nesting box. I do hope they will nest there again this year. We had the thrill of watching the babies take a leap into the world last year.

Not my photo

I'm wondering where I shall go on holiday this year, so many places to choose from. Will it be a return to Italy? a visit to Guernsey? or just a visit to friends in beautiful Herefordshire?

My last random thought is that I must take a box of warming vegetable soup out of the freezer to have for lunch. I do like making soup!

15 comments:

Jackie said...

What lovely random thoughts. Things to plan, and watch this spring and summer are wonderful.

God bless.

Angela said...

I have just received my new passport [last one expired during lockdown] as we are planning a proper holiday abroad this year. Planning it is part of the excitement. My bulbs are peeping through the cold earth, [my lovely vase of daffs has finally come to an end]. Spring is on its way

Sandi said...

The soup sounds delicious.

Where is Guernsey? What is there to see?

The hyacinths are beautiful. Reminds me of Hyacinth Bucket ...bouquet...from that tv show!

ellen b. said...

I enjoyed your random thoughts. I always like to ponder where we might be able to holiday. We have 6 inches of snow on the ground and are below freezing here again 6 degrees F. Cold for us. I have a meeting at church at 11 this morning so it will be a slow and interesting drive in. Have a wonderful day and enjoy that warming soup.

Aritha V. said...

I love your blue flowers. And the blue tits. So nice.

Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Oh, I hope your blue tits finalize plans to use your nest box this season. What fun. We used to so enjoy the comings and goings of the tree swallows who every spring would very carefully inspect the nest boxes available and then choose one. Alas, the house sparrows became so troublesome in our area and began chasing the little tree swallows away year after year; we finally quit putting out the boxes. But I miss the activity.

Your hyacinths are lovely.

Pom Pom said...

I hope you find a wonderful spot for a holiday!
I have thought about forcing a few hyacinths but I must put them out of reach of Timothy the Cat.
I bet you have many friends who love to visit with you!

Granny Marigold said...

Lovely to spend winter days thinking of holidays to come.

Mary said...

Hello dearest Barbara and thanks for your comment on my newest post (I'm finding blogging really hard to keep up with lately and have to admit Instagram is so much easier/faster!).
I think that bug I had over the hols really finished me off for a long time - no energy or wish to do much of anything. Thankfully I'm better now and beginning to feel less exhausted. I refuse to plan any long distance travel until we have all the house projects done! Needless to say a certain person is not happy with that plan! It's all just so much work - even the planning and finding people to do the actual work is mind boggling!
I smell the fragrance of your hyacinths - always a favorite, especially the blue ones. I need to look for some for my table.
Hope you are well dear - Bob and I send hugs.

Cheryl said...

I can appreciate "random thoughts" as many of mine are of that variety! Your blue hyacinths are so lovely and I think I can smell them. Having good friends around is a wonderful blessing! I love soup in winter. I am sure that yours was yummy and warming.

Elderberry-Rob said...

My cat caught a blue tit the other day, I did rescue it and put it somewhere peaceful but sadly it didn't survive. I regret keeping a cat at times like this as I love to see the birds in the garden but no longer feed them because of ours and neighbouring cats. I was surprised how light these tiny birds are and how vibrant their colours, it will be lovely to watch them nesting in your garden. I hope its not slippery under foot for you after the snow. I love hyacinth, yours are stunning.
Betty

Lorrie said...

Random thoughts can be so interesting. Your hyacinths are beautiful and I can almost catch a whiff of their fragrance. Guernsey is a place I would love to visit.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Happy travels wherever you decide to go

A vacation planning in the winter makes the days less chilly.

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

I hope you get to go somewhere warm! We've had a wild winter here! Now it is warming up and raining. I like snow better than rain. Many blessings to you dear friend!

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

Your blue hyacinths are lovely and they always smell wonderful too. There are so many great places to visit, I hope you find the perfect place to take a holiday this year x

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...