Friday, 12 January 2024

Walk and Talk

 This is  a lovely walk by the side of the Truro river. On the left is a large park with tennis courts and children's games, and also a Cafe.

Every few months our local Hospice leads a 'stroll', known as Bereavement Walk and Talk. When I joined the first one I was worried that it was possibly going to be a bit 'doom and gloom'. It isn't at all. It's usually a group of between four and today, ten, people, who simply enjoy being out in the fresh air in lovely surroundings.


We know that the link between us is that we have all lost someone dear to us, but it isn't dwelt on in a sad way. Memories are laughed about, people are remembered in a comforting way. Most of the time the conversation is about anything but bereavement, but equally we are all aware that we are different stages of a journey, and chatting is a good way to lighten our souls.

It takes about an hour, depending on how slowly we walk. Then there is the treat of a hot chocolate or a coffee and cake at the little Cafe.


A good way to spend a morning.

16 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

What a wonderful way to be with others with whom you have a common bond yet the tone is not depressing. Sounds like quite the opposite. How nice that you finish up with a cup of something warm before going your separate ways 💛

ellen b. said...

Such a great exercise with others who are in the midst of grief, too. Getting out and about has a way of lifting your spirits, too. Glad you have this group. Our wind chill factors are below freezing today with an advisory of the possibility of frostbite so it's an inside day for us! I'm baking a cake for two birthdays we are celebrating tonight, our son and DIL. It's an early celebration but the house has a nice aroma from that cake! Happy Friday and weekend to you.

🌺 Debby/From My Shasta Home said...

What a lovely walk - a great way to lift the spirits and being with others of likemindedness. I’d love to just sit in that bench! So nice.

Deanna Rabe said...

That sounds lovely.

Jackie said...

This sounds a lovely way to remember, and laugh with those who are taking the journey.

God bless.

Angela said...

Such a lovely thing to do, I'm so glad you have such a group. I'm sure that you are both blessed by, and a blessing to, the new friends you meet here.

Cheryl said...

That sounds like such a wonderful idea with many benefits! I am glad that you have found this group!

Elderberry-Rob said...

How good that you have company to enjoy walking, there's nothing better than fresh air and being in nature and the company of others. I am glad for you and also pleased you are sharing happy memories and feeding your soul with positivity. Betty

Terri said...

What a lovely place to walk. I would love that! And I'm thankful you have found a group for support and companionship.

Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

What a lovely place to walk. So happy you have some good company to share part of this journey with. xo

Pom Pom said...

That sounds so nice! I'm glad you can see the water. I love Cornwall because of Doc Martin. LOL! xo

Lorrie said...

That is indeed a lovely place to walk. And to have understanding companionship along the way is precious.

Catherine said...

It is such a good idea and a perfect place to walk in good company.
Thank you for your message.
I wish you a good day.

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

I'm glad that you have found a lovely group of people to walk with and that you can all enjoy sharing memories of your loved ones.

Chris said...

Sounds very pleasant indeed, and hot chocolate at the end, 'loverly'

elizabeth said...

a very healing activity on many levels! so gladd

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...