Saturday, 11 May 2024

What's in a name?

My grandfather, who was a great gardener, used different names for his plants. One was 'Granny's Bonnets', which I always thought sounded so romantic.


Maybe not.

Another name my Grandpa taught me was 'Columbine'.

Columbine was the wife of Pierrot, and figured in the Commedia dell' Arte productions as a saucy maidservant.

I'm sure you know the plant as Aquilegia. She is one of my favourite old fashioned cottage garden flowers, and I have noticed that several people have mentioned growing them this year.

There are so many different colour variations. I recently found a pale yellow one with a tinge of pink, so delicate. Today I went to our local village market and bought a beautiful pale lilac one. I stopped myself from bringing more home as I'm running out of space.

Of course, they seed themselves in odd places around the garden, but I welcome them.

I believe they are the flower of Colorado. Correct me if I'm wrong. 

I would love to know how many of you have them in your gardens.



17 comments:

Jackie said...

Here in Canada, most people call those columbine. I have lots growing in my perennial garden.

God bless.

doodles n daydreams said...

I call them granny's bonnets and have some that have self seeded at the side of our steps. They're not in the way and cover the horrible grey concrete of the steps so they can stay 😚

ann said...

You are correct. They the Colorado state flower. Naturally, they grow in the mountains amongst the Aspen groves and bloom around July 4th, celebrated here as our Independence Day. My favorites are the lavender of ones, but they are all stunning. I even have the lacy granny bonnets that are a deep purple. And I bought new one that hasn't been planted out yet, a lacy pink.

Becki said...

I have not been familiar with columbine except to hear other's mention it. And had never before heard the name Aquilegia. I had to look it up, and it appears that there is one species of columbine that is native to Indiana (Aquilegia canadensis) - so there is that. You caused me to learn something new today. :)

Angela said...

The name columbine comes from the Latin for dove - as the flowers are said to look like doves clustered together Aquilegia is from Aquila (eagle) as the flower resembles an eagle's claw. My friend showed me her blooms on Thursday, and I think I want to grow some in my garden! They are lovely

KirstenM said...

We have them, growing wherever they like in our garden. They are mostly variations of pinks and purples, but yesterday I found a yellow one in a sunny corner. I called them columbine but a gardener told me they were aquilegia and a very old neighbour, brought up in a country cottage said they were granny's bonnets.

Elderberry-Rob said...

yes granny's bonnets was what we called them.... we also called fuschia 'ladies petticoats' and antirhinum were snapdragons.

Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

These are such lovely flowers. We call them columbines. Alas, we don't have any in our garden at present. Enjoy your new plants this year.

That's quite the bonnet on that old granny - it would surely keep out the wind and rain. haha

ellen b. said...

Our Columbines have multiplied here and we have a few different varieties. They'll reveal their color soon. That Granny's bonnet is something! :) Happy Day to you!

Granny Marigold said...

Of course I love Columbines. Years ago I bought what was then a new variety called Nora Barlow
( I think that was it) and those were lovely but had different flowers. Unfortunately in a year or so cross pollination had resulted in all my original ones looking more like the Nora B. which was sad because I really preferred my original ones. Last year I pulled out every single Columbine that didn't have the lovely big blooms and I'm thrilled to find that this year's plants are all like ones I used to have. No more flirting with *newer* varieties around here.

Winters End Rambler said...

Quite possibly hundreds are currently flowering their little hearts out in our garden. Can't have too many as far as I'm concerned. Known here as a mix of all three possible names. Rather fond of Granny's Bonnet myself though.

Deanna Rabe said...

I've only known them as Columbine here in Pennsylvania. I have grown them before but not for many years. Maybe I'll have to add them back to my garden! Off to check out what Granny's Bonnet is!

Deanna Rabe said...

Oops! They are Columbine too!

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

It is a flower I would love to grow but just haven't got round to yet. I remember my dad having a large patch of them in the garden when I was a child.

Lorrie said...

Here they are known as Columbine. I love the way they self seed here and there. Mine are mostly the pale lilac ones, but one darker colour is showing up now.

Catherine said...

Here they are called Ancolie and I have many in our garden.

Cheryl said...

We, too, know them as Columbine here. We do not have any in our yard, but my sister-in-law has some lovely ones! It is fun hearing the various names . . . and nicknames . . . of plants!

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...