Our village, and many surrounding areas have had no water for a good part of the day. It's a bit of a shock when you are really, really looking forward to that first cup of tea. And nothing comes out of the tap.
South West Water have told us that it's due to a burst mains pipe somewhere, which has affected many places.
It's so easy to forget that we are a privileged nation. We don't have to walk miles to a borehole to carry buckets of water home. We turn on a tap, and normally the water is there. And if it's not, we know that there are Companies who will do all they can to put things right, as soon as possible, and who take the time to ring 'vulnerable 'older people to reassure them.
Let's be grateful.


16 comments:
People seem to very impatient when little things go wrong, and expect immediate recompense. And so 9ften, they have a go at the poor bloke went out to fix the issue. I've met people from other nations who live with unreliable water supplies, or erratic electricity, or a limited selection in the shops... And yet they are cheerful and grateful for what they have
Yes, so easy to forget how much being thankful helps!
I think we in the western developed world are a wee bit spoiled. We forget that things happen, and seem to have trouble adjusting. You did well!
We don't appreciate what we have until it is not there.
Most times, I think I would rather live without electricity than without running water!
Jo
Oh my, yes. We are quick to complain at the smallest inconvenience. Of course, I realize that being without water for very long could be a big inconvenience, but we don't let it get to that point before raising a ruckus. Good for you for being gracious and going to get your water.
We do tend to take our conveniences for granted and are quick to complain when they fail. Luckily you could go pick up some bottled water and hopefully the problem was fixed quite quickly.
As a child living in rural Somerset, we often had issues with water, so every night before bed mum would fill the kettle and pop a bottle of tap water in the fridge. I each evening ensure our kettle has enough water for our morning drink (we never fill the kettle) and my filter jug is full, old habits die hard.
Yes! Let's be grateful and stop our grumbling! Enjoy the rest of the week!
Here when it rains too much in some places the water from the tap is not drinkable for weeks or months, so there is a water bottle delivery
Waiting for things to settle again and nothing we can do but wait.
Yes you are right...running water is a luxury. I'm not that old but I lived in a house without indoor plumbing at all when I was a child. To be able to turn on the water inside is heavenly to me. And living in the US, I've learned to always keep extra water on hand. We had our own well until just this past spring when we moved...now we have city water....but with a well, if the electricity goes out you don't have water either. So i always keep extra water for flushing toilets, washing hands & of course, hot tea. We have tea at least twice a day at our house.
i hope you get your water back on soon.
I think we're so lucky to have good fresh water on tap. Glad that you have a local shop you can quickly pop to and get water. Hoping the water came back on quickly x
How true, we expect so much and forget how blessed we are. Betty https://www.elderberry-rob.blogspot.com
How easy it is to forget what a privilege it is to have fresh water when so many others do not have the same. I'm glad you were able to get some bottled water locally and that you thought of your neighbour too. Hope things are fixed now.
Usually, after the first moments of annoyance I feel when my modern conveniences go missing, I recognize how privileged I am to live the majority of my hours without having to give a moment's thought to how to meet my basic needs. Living with a well now, we keep a supply of potable as well as sealed drinking water. Only once in three years have we lost power long enough to need to break into the drinking water. My guess is when/if we move back into town, I'll probably continue the practice of storing some water. It's become such a part of our thinking now.
I hope you have water again! We are VERY spoiled, I agree! How nice of you to check on your neighbor. xo
I can't believe that after the past few years that people aren't a wee bit more prepared - especially as our access to bottled water in the West is so easy. I always keep a few gallons in my pantry but I also go to bed at night with my Brita Jug full - another litre of already filtered water also in the fridge, along with a large glass of water ready for first thing in the morning. It's a little thing but at least I can make a cup of tea or coffee in the morning!
Post a Comment