Sunday, 6 October 2024

Time goes by

I've had a weekend 'away'.

 It's just two years since my lovely husband passed away. Anniversaries are hard and somehow it's best to be doing something different, rather than sitting at home feeling sad. 


I gathered some sewing, walking boots and my trusty Kindle.

I didnt go too far, just to a lovely country hotel outside Falmouth. It is set in tropical gardens with Wollemi pines and Fern trees. There's a long path, stony and a bit rocky that leads down to the beach, and I feel very pleased that I managed the walk.




When you reach the end of the walk, there's the sea. 
The little hut was closed, but in the Summer sells ice creams and drinks, and is very popular after the long walk down.




Friday and Saturday were quiet and sunny and having a lovely room with a balcony meant I could relax and watch squirrels playing on the lawns. It was a real treat to have meals prepared for me too!


Cornwall has these little patches of micro climate, where unexpected things grow. Here you will find magnificently tall rare Rhododendrons, Magnolias and the Jurassic looking Tree ferns, some of which are 200 years old.
https://www.meudon.co.uk/gardens

Back home now in torrential rain, with a busy week ahead.


13 comments:

Daisy Debs said...

Hello Elizabeth , sorry you must be feeling low .I'm sending you a hug . 💐I think it was a great idea to have a little time out at this lovely hotel and gardens . Yes , didn't it rain hard this morning . The lane turned into fast flowing streams here , thankfully not come into the cottage . You enjoy relaxing and being looked after for a while . What sewing are you doing ? 🦋love Debbie x

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

It looks like a lovely place to enjoy the weekend with views of the sea and countryside and in the company of the squirels.
Lots of rain here too.
Take care. Thinking of you x

KirstenM said...

What a good idea, to have a nice distraction durwhat could have been a very 'low' weekend. We were regular visitors to Penryn and then Falmouth when my parents lived there for 20 years or so from the 1970s, and have many happy memories of the area.

Mrs. White said...

I am so happy to hear you had such a lovely time!

elizabeth said...

Two years already!! 🫂🫂🫂 it is good to have such a lovely respite. Those times would be hard but God is with us

Granny Marigold said...

That lovely hotel with the pretty gardens seems like a good idea in a difficult time. A weekend to be pampered a little.

Deanna Rabe said...

That is excellent advice, Barbara, about going somewhere else over a difficult anniversary. So interesting about your micro climates.

Lorrie said...

How quickly two years have passed. You did well in arranging a little getaway to a beautiful spot. It looks lovely. I've read about the microclimates on England's south coast - such a variety of growth they offer.

ellen b. said...

What a wonderful getaway on a difficult anniversary. Glad the rains held off till you returned home. Blessings as you enjoy Autumn.

Connie said...

Wow! You my dear friend are an inspiration. I love that you just picked up your sewing and your walking boots and decided to have a weekend in a beautiful place. To enjoy the beautiful gardens and to have meals prepared for you. I loved reading this post. I wish I had the guts to do that I think about it in my head all the time but you just go do it. I'm afraid I just wouldn't enjoy myself. I guess I'll never know if I don't just step forward and try. Anyway I just want you to know I am so proud of you and that you are a true inspiration to how to enjoy life. God bless you sweet friend.

Catherine said...

Nice getaway and you did well to go away in such a nice place. You have been glad it did not rain!

Terri said...

I'm glad you had opportunity to get away. It looks beautiful!

Barwitzki said...

It's great that you took a little break... I saw them, the beautiful gardens in the south of England and also in Cornwall.
Thank you for your beautiful photos, Super time. I can very well imagine your stay. Well done.
A hug to you.

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...