Monday, 16 June 2025

Books

I haven't had a lot of reading time lately. The garden has taken up spare moments, though I always have to have a book close by. Reading  a review from Mary's blog recently(Visits with Mary), I was intrigued by her mention of 'Appalachian Song', by Michelle Shocklee.


I have always found early American history interesting, and have read other books set in the Appalachian mountains. This one moves from the 1940s to 1970s, and is set in a tiny 'holler' in the Smoky Mountains. Here Bertie Jenkins works as a community midwife, living with her sisters, all unmarried, in a very rustic cabin. They raise their own crops, living on what they grow and produce. No electricity, no phone, very few modern conveniences.

Into their lives comes a young pregnant woman who they call Songbird. Her story is interwoven with the sisters', and with that of Reese, a midwife in the 1970s. It's best described as a gentle historical Christian romance I think, though the 'romance' is more in the love shown by the sisters, and in the story of Songbird's son.

It's very different to the other book I'm reading (yes I frequently have two on the go!), which is 'The Land of Spices' by Kate O'Brien set mostly in a Catholic Convent. Her writing always feels slightly detached, but deeply descriptive.


I'm also wading through the four or five sections of the Saturday Telegraph, which keeps me going throughout the week. And I'm stuck on the Crossword.

There is always an emptiness, a sadness, when a book is finished, a sense of one's life being slightly incomplete. Until I have searched and found a new one.


“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”

C.S. Lewis (British writer and lay theologian)

12 comments:

Sandi said...

Both books sound good. I'd like to read about life in a convent and I like that the character in the other book is called Songbird.

Granny Marigold said...

After reading Mary's blog I requested that book at our local library and I'm looking forward to getting it.

Jackie said...

Both books sound very interesting.

God bless.

Connie said...

I'm always on the lookout for a new book to read. Thanks for the suggestions.

Visits With Mary said...

Thanks for the shout-out♥ Good to hear you enjoyed Appalachian Song also, you gave a great review.

Catherine said...

I like reading books but i don’t like when I finish reading them! These books sounds quite interesting .

KirstenM said...

C S Lewis is right!

Cheryl said...

Appalachian Song sounds like a good read. I know that feeling of disappointment when the book ends and you have to leave that world and those characters behind.

Anonymous said...

I’ll have to check out that first one. And I agree with Lewis completely! 💕
Anne

ellen b. said...

I have experienced that sadness at the end of a good book. Enjoy the last few days of Spring!

Terri said...

The second one sounds interesting to me. If you are looking for recommendations you may like, "Driving Over Lemons: An Optimist in Andalucia" by Chris Stewart.

Granny Marigold said...

I'm not sure if you come back and check comments left a week later but I wanted you to know I just finished reading Appalachian Song and really enjoyed it.

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...