This beautiful Spanish galleon is visiting Cornwall this week, sailing into Penzance. She is a replica of a 17th century ship and was built in Spain in 2009.
The galleon is used for educational purposes and sail training with young people, and has sailed across the Pacific and Indian oceans, navigated the South China sea, the Mediterranean and the Caribbean, covering thousands of nautical miles.
The public are allowed to go on board and meet some of the young crew who have been sailing the seas. It's an exciting visit to a little Cornish town.
Quick after word.....reporting this on the West Country news tonight, the reporter referred to the ship as being 'parked' in Penzance!


13 comments:
How wonderful to have the Galeon Andalucia visit Penzance! What skill they had five hundred years ago to build such a vessel - and skill recently to replicate it so perfectly. I wish they would remake "The Onedin Line," I loved that TV series!
Such a beautiful vessel!
I would love to be able to board that beautiful ship!!!
It's beautiful, will make a very good tourist attraction while it's there too!
I remember going aboard a replica ship at the Tall Ships race when it came to Falmouth in 1997. I know the year because we found the souvenir programme when we were tidying and clearing yesterday, and put it to one side.
The ship seemed so small and unlikely for going round the oceans; I think it might have been a replica of the one John Cabot sailed.
It seems very small to be an ocean bound ship, the crew must have lived in very cramped conditions. I hope you were able to go on board.
She's a beauty!!
How delightful!
I don’t know if she is coming to our Tall Ships meeting in Rouen but she is beautiful. I did not go at the last meeting.
Long ago we sailed from Rouen to Le Havre on a Tall ship and it was wonderful !
What a gorgeous ship. Years ago when I was very young there was a replica of the first Hudson Bay Company ship come to Toronto. Now Dad worked for the Hudson Bay Company so we got to tour the ship. I will never forget how the sails filled with air when we took a small cruise.
God bless.
The reporter clearly has no nautical background! What a beautiful old ship. I can't imagine the life of the sailors living on her for such long periods of time. Now we only look at the romance of it.
The Galeon Andulcia is a beautiful replica of the original Spanish vessel. All that detail is amazing and must be a wonderful treat for Penzance to enjoy for the week.
I love visiting the replicas of historical ships! What a treat to have the galleon visit your area!
Post a Comment