Wednesday, 1 June 2016

Just a few lines.



What an odd expression this is, really.
It's a typical English saying, meaning you aren't feeling so good.
I've been battling a wretched bug thing for a couple of weeks, on two lots of antibiotics.
Getting there slowly.



The garden, as always , has been a comfort. Roses are opening their pretty petals, Stocks are scenting the air, Delphiniums have battled their way past the slug population and are putting out flowery spikes.
And, proudly, my one and only Peony has its first one and only bud!

This is the first of the Alnwick roses, and has a delicate scent. I love that tutu-y look, frothy lingerie maybe!


Dancing Queen has started her rampage up the front wall, and is nicely covering my bedroom window. Which is fine except when the wind blows and there is a rather ghostly tapping on the glass.


Resting a lot, not writing much at the moment.
But I do come and read your posts.

21 comments:

Pom Pom said...

Hello friend! I'm so sorry you're battling a bug. My mom and I were talking about how bugs seem to last too long these days. Prayers for brighter days!
Your flowers are beautiful! Yay for a peony!
I'll email you some pictures of mine when the bloom. Thank you for the lovely letter! Writing back soon! I'll use the stationary from your swap.
Tea, rest, warm rice bag, good books. That's my hope for you, good B.

Terri said...

Praying you get over your bug soon! Your flowers are gorgeous and I'm sure lift your spirits. We have two large peony bushes outside our sunroom window. They are beautiful but have those hideous black ants all over them. Ugh. Have a great day, Barbara!

Anonymous said...

Oh sweet Barbara, feel better sweet friend. Rest and be still. We all need this especially when our bodies demand it :0) My thoughts are with you dear lady :0) and by the way...the flowers are just lovely... mari

Frances said...

Hoping you do feel much better soon, dear Elizabeth. Meanwhile, thank you for sharing the pretty garden flowers with us. xo

Melanie said...

I'm sorry you aren't feeling well. I hope you feel better very soon. The roses are just lovely!

Cheryl said...

So sorry to hear you've been "under the weather"!! Glad that you were able to see some beauty along the way.

Praying that you are soon on the mend!

Visits With Mary said...

Beautiful roses! Hope you feel better soon.

bayou said...

Dear Barbara, 'under the weather' is not required right now! Here come some very strong positive waves your way and I hope the second pack of antibibis kicks in now. Only very few roses out here, the bad weather, cold and rain has put things on hold. In the beginning, I did not understand what people meant, to be 'under the weather' but I find it such a great expression. Still waiting for that wee lady to arrive soon... The French fly in tomorrow, she should be encouraged then to make her appearance. Lots of love and best wishes to you, dear Barbara.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear you aren't feeling well. Tea and toast should help!
Beautiful roses ♥

Elderberry-Rob said...

hope you will soon feel much better Barbara. Your first peony is delightful. Get well soon.

Alex said...

Get better soon! There have been so many bugs around, lately.
That Alnwick rose is absolutely gorgeous!

ellen b. said...

I do hope you feel better very soon. Our peonies are done here at my house. I was happy to get more than one this year!

Carolien said...

Wishing you a speedy recovery & take care, dear Elizabeth!

Love, Carolien

Sarah said...

So sorry to hear that you have been ill, Elizabeth, and with such a long-lasting sickness, too! I am praying for a quick recovery for you. What a blessing that you have your cheery gardens to enjoy during this time!

Jenny said...

I am so sorry you haven't been feeling well. Flowers bring me such joy too and yours are lovely! I am hoping you are feeling better soon!

Lorrie said...

Your Alnwick rose is beautiful - I love that soft pink colour. Glad to hear your peony has produced one bud. More next year, I hope.
Wishing you health very soon.

bristowmom said...

I hope you'll be feeling better soon. Your rose is absolutely beautiful! Glad to hear you got at least 1 peony - I love them. As you know, several of my bushes produced flowers this year. All of my bushes are new; I'm hoping for the day when they are prolific bloomers. One produced nothing, which makes me think I planted it too deep. I don't relish the thought of digging it up and trying again, but I suppose I should.

How lovely to have roses near your bedroom window - hopefully their scent wafts in.

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

You have such beautiful flowers, and I can just hear that sound of rustling on the windows, lol! Hope you get to feeling better soon!!!!!

Roses, Lace and Brocante said...

Take care Elizabeth, these bugs can be debilitating.
I imagine June is the peak time for roses in England.
I'm forming a list for three new ones.
Last year I added Munstead Wood and Tamora and sadly neither of them were great. Both David Austin roses.
Take care and rest up with a nice magazine or book!
Shane x

Pondside said...

I'm so sorry to read that you are feeling under the weather. Tea, toast, roses and a glossy magazine are my prescription!

Sandra said...

Hope you get better soon!

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...