Our weather is so temperamental.
No sooner than I had put washing out on a sunny , breezy morning....the hail came clattering down.
For a while the garden was white. The washing went in the Dryer,
and now, the sun is out again.
What does one do!
Yesterday our Oil fired Boiler decided it had had enough and needed a day off. This isn't good news as my husband needs a warm house, so off he went to the sitting room, rug over knees and an electric fire on.
We have a wonderful service from our Oil supplier and their maintenance man came out by midday and put a new water pump in the boiler.
At a cost of over £200. Ouch.
Today the house is warm and comfortable.
We laughed when we remembered what we did to keep warm as children. With no Central heating in those days, the maxim was 'Put another sweater on'.
I have memories of grabbing my vest and school shirt and warming them under the blankets before I got up!
On a very cold day my Mum would hang our school clothes in front of the fire to be warm.
And then we walked the mile and a half to school.
I do wonder if my generation was hardier than today's.

17 comments:
Sorry about the boiler troubles. I understand the Queen has heating issues too. Perhaps she'd consider helping out with the bill if you wrote to her! But you're right, we are all getting soft I think.
Brrrrrrrr! It turned cold here yesterday. I'm so glad your boiler was speedily repaired!
Hello Elizabeth,
Well, it kept you busy ... I had to think about the time we lived in a former stable. When it was -10 C outside, it was -8 in the kitchen, brrr. I remember giving birth to the twins and lying in my hospital bed. All the other new mothers asked for more blankets (in April) and I threw them off, being so warm and all :)
Have a good and warm day!
Oh! You brought back some good memories. I remember Momma warming our socks by the fire so our feet would be warm. Those were good days, but I am certainly happy to have central heat now!
Sounds like you had a day of it! Glad your heating is working again.
I can remember getting out of bed and running to sit in front of the gas heater to warm up and warm up my clothes for the day too.
LOL! Yes, I think our generation was hardier than today's.
Stay warm and enjoy your day!♥
your post made me smile, we had coal fires when I was child, downstairs only and so we all got on our parents bed and put our coats over ourseles, put our arms into the sleeves and went to sleep getting warmth from each other on very cold nights! i can remember crying as a child when my hands got cold outside so think we don't get winters that severe any longer (global warming?)
I think our generation is a bit hardier or at least we endured more. Now, I need a warm house and the comforts. I'm glad your boiler was fixed quickly. Florida is much like your weather - sun one moment and rain the next. You never know how to dress what when to hang out laundry! Have a wonderful weekend.
I agree with Melanie...our generation knew that it had to endure in order to survive. I know that my sons had to learn to grin and bear it :0) sorry about the boiler, but what a blessing that Our Lord provided! have a blessed weekend Barbara :0) mari
Yes, I do agree with you, previous generations had far less creature comforts than we have today. Sorry to hear about the unexpected bill! But glad that it was an easy fix and that you have heat again! I loved the patterns the ice made on your sun roof, so beautiful! Hugs to you today dear friend!
Wow that is quite the bill to get your heat moving again. Glad they came right out to do that. We had our first frost last night. When our electricity goes out we pull the lap blankets out for sure.
Then there were the thermal vests and a spoonful of malt extract every morning. We had lino flooring in the bedrooms which was always cold to step out of bed from. We just got on with it though didn't we. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Hugs ValeryAnne.
Great that the boiler situation was quickly remedied. I did enjoy reading about your memories of no central heating. In some of my UK travels, I have stayed in such places, and definitely knew when to put another sweater on. Over here in NYC, my apartment is usually very overheated, and I can do nothing about it besides having a window just a bit open. xo
The weather is one way that we see just how little control we have over anything! I am glad that your house is toasty warm again...but I can feel your "ouch." (We've had a few "ouches" at our house in the past few months.)
Times have surely changed. I remember getting a new car and it had A/C; we thought we were in heaven! Stay warm and enjoy your weekend, Pat
Oh yes - those were the days when ice formed on the INSIDE of the bedroom windows and you had to scratch it to see out. Bottles of school milk were arranged around the central boiler in the classroom, milk left on the doorstep had the cream at the top extending up and wore the silver foil cap a few inches above the bottle tops, cars left at the kerbside were buried in deep snowdrifts, necessitating a lot of work with a shovel before the journey to work could begin . . . but we survived and prospered, didn't we? My journey to school aged 5 years to 10 years was a 4 mile walk each way.
Sorry to hear about your heating troubles. We've always had central heating, although I remember visiting my grandparents' who had a wood stove for heat and the kitchen was a very cozy place to be. Not so much upstairs!
I'm glad your heating woes got fixed. We have a lake effect snow storm going on now and got about 8" overnight and probably another 5 or so today. Stay warm!
Post a Comment