Wednesday, 9 November 2016

Wintry things.


My friend tells me that her cat is putting on his Winter weight and extra furry coat.
He is a pretty big cat so must be preparing for a hard Winter.


The birds in our garden seem to be stocking up, eating their fill to give themselves a layer of fat to combat the cold.
I think I'm doing much the same, wrapping up, layering, Winter coat, woolly scarves and gloves are all coming out of the cupboard. 

 A fire burns in the evening bringing memories of childhood...the times we sat around the hearth and saw pictures in the flames, told stories, toasted bread on a long fork, and later even roasted chestnuts.


Warming drinks, hot chocolate.....

....warming meals.
There is nothing quite as good as the smell of a beef stew slowly cooking in the oven.

And of course, the ultimate warmer, a soft lap rug.
So whilst we aren't exactly adding any furry pounds on, we seem to be moving towards all the things that say 'Winter is nearly here'.


Are you preparing for Winter? Unless of course you live in Australia!

19 comments:

Simple Living said...

All prepared here, doing the same x

Mary said...

Making toast by the fire - I remember it well, both at our house and at my grandma's. I may do it this winter - bought a new toaster recently which is so slow to toast to a lovely brown crispness - fireside toast might be much better, but will perhaps mean having toast for supper rather than breakfast!
We set up the hearth on Sunday - cooler weather forecast - so may have our first fire this coming weekend when cold nights will arrive at last.

Hope you are better now dear.
Take care.
Hugs- Mary

Frances said...

Yes, weatherwise and politically, too. xo

ann said...

I wish. Here in Colorado, two ski resorts have postponed their opening day due to lack of snow and the artificial snow that they make at night melts during the day, so no we are not preparing for winter. In face my David Austin Gertrude Jeckyl is blooming. Mild temperatures, not frost, no moisture. And I don't think I fat cat has started his winter coat either. Love your collection of winter things that do put me in the mood.

Lorrie said...

Yes, I'm working on my laptop on the couch preparing lessons (with occasional breaks), with a warm rice bag at my back and a cup of hot tea to hand. Winter is on its way. You have the right idea!

ellen b. said...

Sadly I think I might have put on some winter pounds, not as many as the cat at the top of your post...I hope. We do have the heat on in the morning so winter is coming here in the Pacific Northwest.

Angela said...

We lit our first real fire of the winter in the grate last night. And hot chocolate is proving a pleasant alternative to tea in the evenings. I should stock the freezer with crumpets, so we can have some fun with the new toasting fork! I think I could quite easily get into this Danish Hygge concept!

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

Oh yes, we are definitely transitioning to the season of winter here. Trees are bereft of leaves, and squirrels and birds scampering about hurriedly, and the chill is in the air. Winter is at the door, not even knocking now, pushing her way in. I agree with all your cozy ideas of things to do in this season, it is a time to slow down and be cozy, isn't it! Hugs to you dear friend, praying for you!

Cheryl said...

I love all of these warm-and-cozy preparations!!

Carolien said...

Hello Elizabeth,

Well, I prepared the garden ;) And my scarf, gloves etc. are in use already ... Nice post & have a good day!

Elderberry-Rob said...

just bought thermal curtains! and done training in my job to do work from home computer technology as we are expecting some very snowy days ahead.

Melanie said...

I don't make much preparation here in Florida except pack away the shorts and bring out the jeans. I still enjoy those comforts like the afghan on the couch while watching a movie and the hot chocolate (sugar free). We do get our nippy nights and I enjoy them! My cat Tabbie always seems to look fluffy so can't tell there.

Anonymous said...

That beef stew looks delicious! and the lap blanket so warm.
We haven't started a fire in the wood stove yet, but not far off now as the weather has changed somewhat.
Enjoy your weekend!
Hugs, ♥

I've had to relocate! Hope you'll stop by
https://alongelkcreek.blogspot.com

Pom Pom said...

We haven't had any cold weather yet, so the wintery feeling isn't penetrating. Soon!
I like your cozy winter talk!

bristowmom said...

We are predicted to have a warmer than average winter. This morning I saw a photo I took on this date 2 years ago which showed several inches of snow. I am hoping the warm weather predictions are correct! Having said that, your home with the fire, beef stew and blankets sounds very cozy.

Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

What a lovely post as you gather what helps make winter cozy and snug.

We're warm and sunny these days here in Alberta, no sign of winter now. We had a couple days of unexpected snow in early October and then the weather smartened up -- it's been lovely ever since.

The only sign that feels winter is drawing near are the shortening daylight in our days. Hints of twilight starts around three to four o'clock in the afternoon so twinkle lights are turned on.

That beef stew looks so amazing. Wishing you a beautiful week ahead, dear lady!

Brenda xox

Visits With Mary said...

I would love to have a cold winter, but where I live our winters are very mild. But I loved feeling 'wintery' while reading your blog!

Mrs A. said...

I'm sat here now with a rug wrapped round my legs and there is a beef stew in the hotpot about to be dished up in some large Yorkshire puddings. Yum. I'm glad you liked your teacup card. Hugs ValeryAnne.

Kathleen Grace said...

That beef stew looks so good. It's been ages since I made one! Time to add it to the weeks menu I think :) Thank you for the reminder.

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...