This is one of Cornwall's new buses. 37 were ordered in 2016, and I think it is these that I keep seeing.
They seem to have started a trend to keep us laughing, with very odd slogans on the back.
By the way, the one I mentioned earlier translates roughly as
'Buses weren't like this in the old days' (backalong).
They do look smart, and I'm pleased to see that they seem to have a drop step entry too.
The one I followed today read :-
'USB charging on board.
Geddon.'
That was pretty clear wasn't it?
I expect many of you used buses on the way to and from school. I know I did. There was always a scuffle and a scrimmage for the best seats. Our school preferred that we didn't go upstairs, but sat like little ladies (ha) downstairs, jostling each other with satchels full of homework, chattering about really important things like...boys, films, Radio Luxembourg etc.
Television wasn't much in Cornwall in those days.
We are hoping that my husband will be able to return home this week, but he has to wait till the Care package has been extended a little.
Hopefully a letter swap might take place later in the year.
Thank you to all who said they would be keen to take part.
Thank you also for your many good wishes and prayers on my husband's behalf.
I appreciate it so much.

24 comments:
You remain in our thoughts and prayers. I used to love the old Flanders and Swann song "Transport of Delight" about the London Transport Diesel Engine 97hp Omnibus, and seeing your picture has set me singing it again!!
Hello dear Elizabeth,
We have something in common: a husband in hospital. I'm glad your husband is getting ready to go home again, good news! Mine went in this afternoon and has to stay for a few days (infection/bacteria after surgery). I'm happy he is in good hands ...
Have a good week & love, Carolien
P.S. Love the buses
Of course, it now makes sense what 'backalong' means. Love those slogans.
Wishing you and your husband continued grace as he gains his strength.
Brenda xox
How charming!
Prayers for M. (And YOU!)
Those red double decker buses are the best; I am glad to see they are still making and selling them. Prayers for you and for your husband returning home soon. I very much appreciate prayers for me as I grieve the recent death of my husband.
Elizabeth, I've been out of touch lately. I am so sorry to hear that your husband has been ill. I pray that he is recovering well and will be home with you soon. {{HUGS}}
Nice looking bus. The firs double deck buses I ever saw were in England. We have been quite slow in good transit systems in the U.S. compared to Great Britain. Praying your dear husband will be able to come home soon.
Best news, your dearest is coming home soon, I'm so pleased.
The buses are styled differently but it is nice to see they still build red double deckers! Radio Luxembourg was great - used to listen to it under the covers at night when supposed to be sleeping! Leather satchels bring back memories - remember they never wore out - just kept getting better as they aged, but they were heavy when filled with books.
Love to you both ☺
My friend and I flouted the "sit downstairs gals" ~ (our posh headmistress always called us gals!) and we sat at the front on the top deck. Helen spent most journeys helping me with my maths homework!
L.x.
Love to you both ☺
My friend and I flouted the "sit downstairs gals" ~ (our posh headmistress always called us gals!) and we sat at the front on the top deck. Helen spent most journeys helping me with my maths homework!
L.x.
Well, that translation was so obvious once you translated for us, haha. Keep them coming.
Glad to hear your husband is doing better, I pray he continues to improve.
Diana
that is a funny sign; I am guessing the last word means 'get on' as in get on board... very fun!
I was telling my Husband about you and your husband and how I have lit candles for him... mine is ill at moment too, but not to the degree of yours and I do think and pray for you... I hope that he is able to come home soon... it's a hard time, these months of winter, so many sicknesses... God protect and be with you and your husband!
Hello Barbara, sorry I missed about your husband beeing in hospital and letter swap. So good to read that he is expected back home soon, crossing fingers! If I had not been so busy right now, I would have loved to organise the letter swap, it was great fun when you did it last time and I got in touch with Ann and still am. But then you know so much about your blogging friends and with whom to pair and did it so well, so leaving it to someone else would not be the same. Sending boatloads of good wishes across.
So good to hear your husband will be returning home soon. Keeping you both in prayer.
I enjoyed sitting in the upper level of the bus when we lived in the UK. There is a restaurant called London Calling in a city nearby, and they have a bus that has been turned into a place to sit and eat. I like eating in the top level ~ brings back memories.♡
My sweet friend, forgive me for being absent as I missed the tid bit about your husband being in the hospital. I truly hope he gets to come home soon and please know that I continually prayer for him and for you.
As for the letter swap, it sounds wonderful! I have participated in your swaps in the past and they are always a blessing :)
Love and hugs to you!
Here is a link to the restaurant if you would like to see it. The bus is 53 years old. I know you must know what a pasty is too! http://www.londoncallingpastycompany.com/home.html
I always thought double-decker buses were cool looking but I've never seen one in person. I don't even know if they have them here in the states.
I'm praying for your husband and hope he does get to come home soon.
{{hugs}}
I'm glad someone else posted about "Geddon" because I thought it was the bus destination or point of origin! We have some double-decker buses here, playing, I think, on the "Britishness" of our city.
I'm glad that your husband is improving and will soon be home with you again.
Very Cornish pronunciation!
Yes, it is the Cornish way of pronouncing Get On!
I very much enjoyed the letter swap last year, making a new friend Anke. I'm participate again. The double decker has certainly been upgraded. On our last trip to England in 2006, we road one to the airport from London. I rode on the upper deck. What a rocking, rickety ride, but I loved every moment of it--my last memory of England. Hope hubby returns home soon.
We only have single-deckers through our moorland village as, although the route meanders through many small villages, passengers are few. There is now talk of drastically reducing the bus service. :(
I'm glad you are taking the opportunity to sit and read while M is in hospital - the break will recharge your batteries. However, I'm sure you are both looking forward to being together again at home, so I hope the Care package is soon in place. (((((hugs))))) for you both.
Enjoyed your post about the buses, I have never had the privilege of riding in a two-decker bus, but enjoyed hearing your tale of riding as a child. I would like to participate in the letter swap if you decide to have it again. I am praying for your husband! Hopefully he will be able to come home soon. Hugs to you dear friend :)
Post a Comment