Sunday, 23 July 2017

A Painted Lady




We recently watched a most interesting programme about a journey from Morocco to England.
The journey is taken by the Painted Lady butterfly every year, flying around 4500 miles. They cannot spend a Winter here, but come every June or July to see what we have growing in the gardens.
I was so delighted to find one this morning, humming its way happily amongst the Lavender and Verbena in the flower beds.

I even managed to get a close up photo.
Isn't she pretty?

At a time when so many of the butterfly species are dying out it is good to se this lovely lady in the garden.

15 comments:

R's Rue said...

Beautiful.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Such beautiful photos, Elizabeth. I love butterflies!
Wishing you a blessed afternoon.

Marigold Jam said...

Imagine something so delicate being able to cover that distance - isn't Nature amazing?! Good job she is not here though as it's been raining all day.

Simple Living said...

Beautiful we had one here on the butterfly bush this morning.

ellen b. said...

Beautiful. It's always such a treat to see a butterfly!

Carolien said...

It sure is a lovely lady!

Have a good day & love, Carolien

Lorrie said...

Butterflies are such amazing creatures, gifted with an innate sense of purpose and direction, although they are most likely completely unaware. They are beautiful, too, and so welcome.

Dianna said...

Lovely shots of the Painted Lady! How interesting to read about how they come to your area a certain time of the year.

Blogoratti said...

That is quite fascinating isn't it. I love butterflies, and your photos are great. Greetings to you!

Splenderosa said...

I'm following along, love what you're doing here !!

xx's

Anonymous said...

Oh...just delightful :0) mari

ann said...

Hello. I have been MIA for a while. So I am trying to catch. We have painted ladies here, but I had not idea that they migrate. I wonder where ours go? I'll be login that up. I doubt that the fly from Morocco.

Terri said...

Very pretty!

ann said...

I am back, Barbara. I had to look up the migration of the painted lady here on this side of the pond. They travel from Mexico. We don't see many of the painted ladies or the Monarchs that migrate, too. Just as the song birds the migrate, there is loss of habitat due to urbanization. For the song birds that migrate and the grand bald eagles our national bird those monstrous white wind generators that populate the plains of American kill so many birds. Thanks for inspiring me to look them up.

Cheryl said...

Oh, how beautiful! Such a lovely sight to see! Thank you for sharing. :)

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...