I mentioned the Cornish pasty in my Harvest post.
I know that many of you are familiar with this national 'dish' of Cornwall, but for those that don't know it, I thought I'd write a few words.
There is only one 'proper' way to make a pasty, and that is with Beef skirt, potatoes, onion and swede. Anything else is not 'proper'.
Pasties have been around for hundreds of years, but in Cornwall they were the food of choice for the Miners, working in hot, dirty conditions underground in the tin mines. It's said that one end of the pasty contained meat and in the other end there was jam or something sweet.
Hayle College in Cornwall have just made history by launching an intrepid Pasty into space. Working with Rowes the bakers, they organised this scientific experiment.
Attached to a weather balloon the pasty ascended over 35 000 metres and was suspended in the stratosphere for around 93 minutes, coming back onto Bodmin Moor. It arrived back completely frozen, but was apparently still edible!
Here's the Head Teacher trying it out.
You can read more here
The things we do in Cornwall!!



14 comments:
Not a pasty fan myself, but my they're probably one of my husbands fabourites xx
I haven't eaten a Cornish pasty, but have heard so much about them. I saw them being made on the Great British Bakeoff once, I believe. Next time we come to England, I hope we make it to Cornwall where we will try an authentic pasty.
The last time we had 'the proper ones' was for the Helston Flora Day, great fun! I think, at least 10 years ago. I love the idea of sending it into the stratosphere and that the head teacher was brave enough to try it afterwards. Greetings to both of you. xxx
We have something like it in the coast of Colombia, called an empanada....and they are truly delicious :0)
You reminded of happy times, long ago in Cornwall when my three sons all skinny and energetic craved pasties every day and not just one a day - lol!!
Of course I love a good pasty and yes the 'proper' Cornish one is great, but you have to forgive me only eating 'veggie' ones now! My mum (though Cockney by birth) made the best Devonshire pasty - her pastry was always so perfect and I would have her make them here when she came to visit. How I miss those years. . . . . and my mum!
Mary x
yummm!!!! sounds delicious! funny, the space bit! :)
Oh how I love Cornish Pasties!
That is the kind of food that is called 'comfort food' here. Basic, great tasting, comforting. I'd love to try one someday!
Poor pasty in the sky ... ;)
I have heard the reason for the big crust was originally for the tin miners to hold the pasty with dirty hands, the crust was discarded. I think pasties would make a great representation as our National dish!
I have not tasted a Cornish pastry but it is so interesting to read about their history. I hope you will have a very pleasant new week.
When we were in England last summer, we had the great pleasure of feasting on a Cornish pasty when in the Cornwall area. So satisfying.
That's an interesting experiment they did with the pastie. They sound delicious!
Post a Comment