Sunday, 3 December 2017

A pause in Advent.


It's been a few years since I joined in the Pause in Advent.
Thanks to Angela for keeping it going.



I'm finding that the world's attitude to Christmas is one of buy, buy, buy. Since September our shops have been full of 'gift ideas'.
It saddens me that a season which is essentially a quiet time of waiting, expectation and preparation, has got to this state.

I remember the excitement as a child of getting ready, writing to Father Christmas, making lists, decorating the tree and so on. I loved doing all this with my children. Somehow materialism hadn't hit in the same way as now.

I saw, as I drove past a new development of shops this week, a huge poster outside a furniture shop.
It screamed..
'If You Love It..
Have It!!'

I felt so sad that in the midst of world famine, terror stricken hordes without food or water, we should be encouraging this 'grab' attitude.
In Advent is it time to take a step back, to spend a little moment thinking about the real reason for Christmas?

15 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

Yes it IS a time to step back from all the spending not to do more of it! I am with you here and we now celebrate the season in our own way and try not to get involved in all the spending, and partying and so on. Maybe it is my age but I do remember Christmas as being fun and something to look forward to in spite of there being precious little money spent on it back in the '50s. I think we appreciated what we had more then.

Elizabethd said...

You are absolutely right Jane.

Angela said...

Hear, hear!

Mylittlepieceofengland said...

I think in our culture in this day and age, so much is very sadly just taken for granted. I love the anticipation before Christmas xx

Sara said...

You are so right about that; it is a sad how all the noise and consumerism distracts from the real Advent and Christmas. I recently read an interesting post on this topic by an Orthodox Christian priest, here is a link if you are interested: https://blogs.ancientfaith.com/frbill/40-war-advent/

Anne Payne said...

I agree! Consumerism has taken over. We started scaling back on the 'stuff' years ago and began doing a service project as a family each Christmas. Another thing I don't like is much of the music played in the stores. I mostly remember Christmas hymns on the radio when I was little; none of this Santa Baby garbage. If we each focus on the real meaning perhaps we can make small changes in our circle of influence.

I so wish you and I could sit down together over a cup of tea and chat. I'm sure we could talk for hours. God bless you, Barbara! I love you, my dear friend~

Phoebes World said...

Absolutely right!Its about time people started thinking of the true meaning of the season....and keep it in your heart all year long x

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

I agree, Elizabeth. We cut back years ago. The world needs the real gift of Christmas and not more things.

Blessings friend!

doodles n daydreams said...

That is surely materialism gone mad. I agree with your sentiments and like a quiet family Christmas. I have to admit that I like the hustle and bustle of Christmas though with all the anticipation that goes with it. So maybe I'm a bit of a contradiction, it's really the commercialism I don't like.

Diana

Carolien said...

True, Elizabeth!
Have a good Advent time, dear friend.

Love, Carolien

Astrids dragon said...

I honestly enjoy spending time together and relaxing. The boys know they won't be getting everything on their list, and that making gifts is always a fun thing to do. Nathan made a poster for school that sums it up beautifully, I'll have to post it later, I love it!

Lorrie said...

Advertising and commerce seem in direct opposition to the message of Christ. It always makes me sad, too.
I didn't know someone was continuing the Pause in Advent. I'll check out Angela's blog.

Anonymous said...

Oh Barbara, this seems to be what happens every year around this time. How sad that it does :/
Here in the cottage, we have created a different attitude. We celebrate the 25th as Christ's gift to the world...then on the 6th, we give each other love gifts... small and thoughtful is our theme :)

So glad that your husband is recovering :)

magsmcc said...

There's a poster outside our chain of local shops that says, "Have the Christmas you really want", or something similar. It's advertising take-away coffee. Are people really convinced by that? I'd be so sad to believe only that.

ellen b. said...

It's good to be reminded to pause and to breathe in what Christmas is all about.

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...