Having a fairly major clear out of boxes languishing in the garden shed, I came across some documents, amongst which were two Identity cards, mine and my parents'.
Those of you who are British and of a certain age may remember them.
Identity cards were introduced as an emergency measure in Britain in 1939 at the start of World War 2. Brown for children, blue for adults.
With the threats of bombing and of families becoming separated, they were a way of identifying people. People moved house many times during the war. Children became separated after bombs had demolished houses.
They were also preparing for rationing which was introduced in 1940.
Cards had to be produced on demand or at the very least within 24 hours at the local Police station.
Cards had to be carried until they stopped in 1952.
Should I keep them as a bit of history?
13 comments:
Dear Elizabeth,
I think you should, but who am I ... It impressed me, this testimony of a dark part in history.
Have a good day & love, Carolien
I would definitely keep these. They are a part of history as a whole, and your own history in particular. It is hard to think of children being separated from their parents.
absolutely keep them! it is so valuable to have reminders of our personal and national histories!
Oh wow, yes do hold on to them - I doubt there are very many left by now.
I don't recall ever seeing mine or my parents' cards - knowing my mum and her penchant for throwing things away (definitely not a hoarder!), she probably ditched them as soon as the war was over!
Several bombs were dropped on Torquay - I was a baby - as German planes returned across the Channel from Plymouth/Devonport docks. One fell on a church during a children's Sunday School class and sadly there were several deaths.
Hope life in Cornwall is good during this spring season Barbara, and that you and hubby are enjoying sunshine and fresh air.
Warm hugs - Mary
Those bits of family history are so important. Memories of wartime are fading, and I think the western world will suffer because of that. These little books are a reminder of what was.
Mr M has just shown me his since I asked him if he remembered having one! I can't remember ever having one nor seeing one myself but maybe they had stopped issuing them by 1944 when I arrived. I see there are some on Ebay for sale though only for peanuts so I'd hang onto them.
I've kept mine! Nice bit of personal history. By the way, the identity numbers were our first NHS numbers. My mum made me memorise mine - heaven knows why!
Incredible! Yes,I would definitely hold on to those. Such a reminder you have of days gone by and of the times.
I trust you are enjoying the beauty that this time of year affords us~
I definitely would keep them. I hope you are enjoying a pleasant evening. Good night.
I would keep them for sure. So interesting.
Oh yes, do keep them. They are part of your story, and a reminder to others about the effects of war. I hope spring has arrived in full force in your garden, and that you are enjoying warmth and sunshine.
Those are a piece of history! Definitely keep them!!! I keep all kinds of things from my family's past. My children will probably chunk it all when I am gone but I just can't do that. :-)
I do think you should keep them!
Post a Comment