Wednesday, 16 May 2018

Things in the garden.

I wait eagerly for my Camassia to flower. It started as two bulbs a few years ago and has now spread and is rather taking over this bed. But one forgives it for its glorious smoky blue-ness.
I hadn't realised that it was a wild flower also, until Lorrie mentioned it.



Lovely Pasque flower, Pulsatilla. This is always the first colour in the bed. This photo was taken a couple of weeks ago. Now it is covered in flower and getting rather too large!

A free spirit.
These Violets are wandering around the garden, popping up where they wish. They are such a lovely splash of blue that I can't bear to remove them.


Tomatoes a week ago in their pots, are now planted in the earth in the greenhouse. I always put a companion plant with them, of French Marigold, not beautiful but supposed to keep Greenfly away.
It seems to work.

Here in the South West , our weather seems to be gradually improving. The earth is becoming warm. Plants are beginning to grow rather than just sitting forlornly in their pots.
It's at last a time to enjoy gardening.

13 comments:

Sylvia said...

I enjoyed seeing all your plants, love all the colors.

Anonymous said...

Your flowers and garden beds are so pretty. I can almost smell those tomato plants! Glad you are enjoying a warm up in the weather. Always a delight to visit with you. Have a nice day.

Frugally challenged said...

It's lovely to see things romping away though. It seems hard to have to prune or thin them as they are so generous.

Lorrie said...

Lovely photos of your garden. Isn't this the most wonderful season when everything springs into colour? I wonder if camassia has naturalized in the UK? It's native to North America - the First Nations peoples harvested the bulb for food. It must be harvested when in flower for there is a similar white native flower whose bulb is poisonous.

Stephanie said...

Sweet friend, I so enjoyed seeing your beautiful garden. You have such a lovely selection of flowers.

Thinking of you, dear one. Hugs!

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

We’ve had so much rain, and more to come! Your plants are looking lovely. I often planted nasturtiums with my tomato plants. They do the same thing as the marigolds, but are also edible flowers! Thanks for the peek into your garden!

Cheryl said...

Thanks for sharing a look at your lovely growing things! It is so exciting when things begin to bloom!

bristowmom said...

I always love your garden posts. I agree that the violets are too pretty to remove but hopefully they don't take over!

Debbie Harris said...

PRETTY, PRETTY, PRETTY!!
I love the violets and I too would allow them to grow as they wish.

Bless you~

Carolien said...

Hello dear friend,

Lovely to see the beauties in your garden. I wish you many happy moments of gardening, good that the weather is getting better.

Love Carolien

Terri said...

Spring was so late in coming this year that we are starting to finally get some color too. I love the violets! To be honest, I think wildflowers are beautiful and I hate removing them!

Anne Payne said...

I love the wild Violets! They are prolific in my NC yard too. I always hate to see them mowed over. I am always on the lookout for perennials that will thrive here in VA and I think the Camassia would do well. It says on the plant website they like it moist and boy, is it moist here! :-) Thanks for sharing these pretty pictures of your plants! {{hugs}}

Connie said...

I do not believe that a flowering plant can ever get too large . . . and as for your violets, it is lovely that they pop up wherever they please, they are gorgeous. Your garden looks so pretty . . . Enjoy!

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...