It's Black Friday here today, but it seems to have been going for several days now, with pre-Black Friday offers in so many shops.
The news tells us that people are spending less this year, but.....
Barclays Bank apparently took over 1000 credit card sales in one minute today.
As my daughter and I drove into town to have a look at the new apartment we could see from notices that at least two of the town Carparks were already full, at 10 am!
We stayed out of the town itself but made a quick visit to Waitrose where the carpark was so full that we had to wait for a space.
It seems as though people regard this as a spend spend weekend.
And there is still Cyber monday to come!
I know it is a good opportunity to find a bargain, but I wonder if people are swept away by the lure of 'cheap' goods', which sometimes are no cheaper than normal.
As my daughter and I drove into town to have a look at the new apartment we could see from notices that at least two of the town Carparks were already full, at 10 am!
We stayed out of the town itself but made a quick visit to Waitrose where the carpark was so full that we had to wait for a space.
It seems as though people regard this as a spend spend weekend.
And there is still Cyber monday to come!
I know it is a good opportunity to find a bargain, but I wonder if people are swept away by the lure of 'cheap' goods', which sometimes are no cheaper than normal.

10 comments:
Around town here it's very busy today. I was out in it for a bit, but now I'm safely tucked home. Need a cuppa tea. It's so grey looking outside today, all dark and overcast. I'm grateful for lights that brighten up the corners.
Wishing you a pleasant weekend. How nice to imagine you walking around with your daughter today. Brenda xox
BTW, I've put something in the mail to you. I know it's not even December, but we've had a countrywide rotating mail strike here, so we've got fingers crossed that it will get through in spite of backlogs. Our post office was open for business today so I took advantage.
I think there are some genuine bargains but it becomes a frenzy. I stay well away. It was very busy here too when iddrove to the gym this morning but i think the biggest spending happens online. Lovely to read you daughter is with you by the way.
I slept in this morning, enjoyed a nice slow breakfast & have puttered around decorating for Christmas. I am happy to stay far away from the stores as much as I can!
We never go out on such a day...though we did go to a local store because we had no idea what it was... local businesses around here I think have a hard time... so it is...
here in the US Black Friday has taken on a life of it's own. Coming up the day after our national holiday to express thanks for the blessings we have received it has now taken over the holiday with stores opening in the evening and staying open all night for people to shop. Then, of course, Friday itself can be a bit of a madhouse so I don't participate. I did go out to one place to look for one items and I steered clear of the area where people were frantically dumping Thanksgiving decor, paper plates, napkins, etc. into carts. I thought it wildly ironic that they probably didn't even enjoy the holiday to begin with so why "stock up" for next year to just do the same thing. I find it ridiculous.
I wonder if it is an excuse to get rid of lines that haven't sold well or maybe the prices were inflated to start.
I'm so thankful that I've never had the desire to do the whole Black Friday experience. It just seems exhausting!
We had (I at least have never seen it before in Holland) it here as well, very strange ... I didn't join in ;)
Have a good Sunday, dear Barbara and Malcolm.
Love Carolien
We don't do Black Friday shopping. I prefer to stay out of the crowds. :-)
Black Friday is creeping into Canada, too, although I don't know anyone who actually went shopping that day. I did stop in at the grocery store for a few things, and there was no Black Friday there. The constant urging to consume is a sign of greed, I think.
Post a Comment