Friday, 31 May 2019

Roses, roses......


'There is simply the rose; it is perfect in every moment of its existence'
Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Suddenly the garden is full of the colour and scent of roses.
One waits so long, and then, there they are, blossoming, swaying, showing off their frilly blooms.


Golden Gate is a lovely scented yellow rose, which would go ever upwards, climbing fences higher than mine.

 Here is the beautiful Gertrude Jekyll, blushing
pinkly. One bloom is enough to scent a room.

This beauty is a rose that I bought from France, and have never been able to find here. She is called, for some reason, 
Pullman Orient Express. Very little scent, but the colours make up for that.

Pale pink Alnwick, another highly scented rose.


Golden Gate again, my husband's favourite.
Always reminds me of lemon meringue.
Did you, like me, spend hours as a child trying to create rose petal scent?

Not roses indeed.
Just a glimpse into the greenhouse where my tomatoes are companion planted with French marigolds to keep away greenfly.
There is so much more to look forward to in the garden now June is here.

9 comments:

elizabeth said...

I love roses so much!!! that one from France is so beautiful!!! I love the scent of roses...so special!!!

Granny Marigold said...

Your roses are so lovely!!
The yellow one DOES make me think of lemon meringue!

mamasmercantile said...

Such a beautiful array of roses. Your last comment made me smile and brought back some lovely memories of my sisters and I making rose scent.

Cheryl said...

Such beautiful roses there in your garden! It is easy to sense your love for them!

ellen b. said...

The roses are all so lovely. Happy June to you!

Lorrie said...

Roses are such lovely flowers. I purchased a Gertrude Jekyll this year and it has several buds on it. I'm waiting impatiently for them to open. Other roses are beginning to bloom, too. It's a lovely time in the garden.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

I love roses, and yours are lovely!

Anne Payne said...

It's all so beautiful but yellow Roses are my favorite!

Connie said...

Oh my goodness gracious your roses are magnificent! I have a large pink rose that is lightly scented just outside the bedroom window and in the night I take a deep breath and it smells like heaven. It took me 5 years from planting to having it grow tall enough 2 reach the window but now it's there and I love it. I do hope that you are having a lovely and restful week. God bless you.
Connie

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...