Thursday, 27 February 2020

Floods in UK


This is how parts of England look today.
Emergency evacuations have been going on all day, particularly in  the towns of Ironbridge in Shropshire, and Bewdley in Worcestershire. 


The River Severn runs through these counties and has burst its banks.
The flood barriers have buckled under the weight of the water and it is no longer safe for people to remain in their homes.

 Rescuers have been helping so many people, sometimes with a boat, sometimes carrying folk from their top floor  with ladders.


No fields are visible.
Homes swallowed up by water.
 A church is surrounded.
So very sad to see this.
Homes and businesses have been destroyed.

There is grief, sadness and panic. No one knows what the next day will bring. Yet in it all so many groups are working to bring a semblance of normality to life. There is a huge community spirit.
Charities are activating Disaster funds. Churches are opening their doors to anyone who needs a place. Clothing and food donations are pouring in.
Prayers are being said in all our churches. We are all praying.
Britain isnt going to allow herself to sink.

17 comments:

Kay G. said...

That is terrible! As you say though, the Brits will pull together and take care of things!

Granny Marigold said...

The flooding is so devastating. My heart goes out to all those who have lost their homes.It is so sad.

In the comment you left on my blog today you wondered how many people live in those huge houses. Well, the one that was built next door to us has young parents with 3 young children, One set of grandparents plus another grandfather who appears to be a widower. In the basement there is a 2 bedroom suite. Almost all the huge houses are being built by Indo-Canadians. So far we have found them to be very nice neighbours. None of the older generation speaks English but a wave and a smile go a long way.

Visits With Mary said...

So sorry to see this happening. I live in an area where it floods often, sometimes not so bad and other times it's terrible. Sending prayers for all in harms way.

Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Oh dear Barbara. These are sad things to hear about. I've been watching the news and feeling for all our English friends. Grace and mercy to everyone. So grateful for community in times like these. Hugs, Brenda xox

Anonymous said...

Barbara, oh I hope this isn't happening close to you! I'm so sorry to see all this flooding. I pray that everyone stays safe and the waters recede. xo

elizabeth said...

I am so so sorry to hear this! I listen to Classic FM (Global) on my phone from the UK and heard that there was more storms coming. I did pray then and will pray now. Lord have mercy!!! I love England very much and know that the Lord does too!!!

elizabeth said...

I lit a new beeswax candle for you and all of England! God bless!!!

Terra said...

What sadness I see in your photos of beauty surrounded by water. I am praying that the flooding stops and quickly recedes.

ellen b. said...

So sorry to see this.

Angela said...

Last year we sat on a bench by the Ironbridge and ate sandwiches in the sunshine. That bench is completely underwater now. My heart goes out to the people who are suffering in these floods. God give them strength, and may we all be loving and supportive where we can.

mamasmercantile said...

My heart goes out to all those affected by these floods, they are all in my prayers.

Anne Payne said...

Disasters often bring the best out in people and show us what is really important in life. Prayers that compassion and love continue in these communities and needs will be met.

Mary said...

These photos are very disturbing and I feel so sad for the people who have to deal with such flooding. We've had similar in parts of the US recently also - even here in NC where we've had such a wet winter.
Hoping the powers that be will help these people with the damage to properties, and that the rivers will drop soon. Sadly Mother Nature can be cruel in many ways.
Mary x

Linda Baker said...

How very tragic those pictures are. I'm so very sorry for all those suffering and will lift them up in prayer.
Blessings, Linda

Carolien said...

How awful! It is very wet here, but not as bad as in Britain. And the next storm is coming in today here, I hope it didn't destruct even more houses and landscapes in the U.K.!!!

Hugs and prayers, Carolien

ann said...

I do hope that you are--as the saying goes--high and dry. Flooding is so destructive. Fortunately here we are far from rivers and streams, but we have seen the destruction of rampant waters here, too. Stay well an dry.

Deanna Rabe said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. My daughter's town of Nashville has been dealing with the aftermath of a tornado. Thankful that our prayers mean something, and that we can trust God to be with us in it all.

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...