Saturday, 15 February 2020

Gooseberry Crumble




The rain continues, day after day. The lawn is a sea of water.
We are not at risk of flooding being at the top of a little hill, but the grass just can't soak up any more water. The wind is howling. This is Storm Dennis, following Storm Chiara.

So today was a day for a restorative hot lunch.
Roast chicken, roast potatoes, mixed vegetables, gravy.......

And then, a Gooseberry Crumble, using the last of the berries in the freezer.
With cream.


The delicious cooking smells from the kitchen whetted our appetites all morning.
It all tasted so good, and so right for such a horrible day.

It's funny how we seem to need to wrap ourselves up in a comfort blanket of warming food when Winter throws its worst at us.

18 comments:

Sandi said...

This looks good! We don't have gooseberries here. I had to look them up to see what they are. Do they taste like grapes?

Jenny said...

Isn't it the best thing to cook on cold days?

We've had too much rain as well & like you we are not in danger of being flooded but the mud is so bad. A friend got her car stuck in my yard & we had to wait three days before the ground was dry enough for a truck to pull it out. I am definitely ready for the mud to dry out some.

Granny Marigold said...

Our weather is also very rainy but the coming week may bring a couple of dry days. I am so ready for more pleasant weather as I'm sure you are too.
My Mom grew Gooseberries and mainly used them for jam. It was tasty but tart.

Pom Pom said...

How wonderful. That crumble looks so yummy. Stay warm and dry, friend.

elizabeth said...

Oh that looks delicious and the meal so comforting ♡ I pray you will have much better weather VERY soon! ♡ I agree that food comforts and warms us ♡

Elderberry-Rob said...

I love gooseberry crumble, haven't have it for years. I hope you are safe and warm. we were woken at ten to seven this morning with an automated phone call from the environment agency of severe flood warning, the stream behind the woods here is the highest since 2013 and rising, fingers crossed we won't be flooded but we are on the flood map and worried. keep safe. Betty x

Carolien said...

Good for you! That all sounds delicious.
Have a good Sunday and I hope the storm will pass quickly and without damage for you.

Hugs Carolien

mamasmercantile said...

Sounds delicious. We are hunkered down with a warming stew and dumplings. Stay safe from this dreadful storms.

R's Rue said...

Yummy.

Linda Baker said...

Good morning Elizabeth,
You are so right about the "comfort blanket of warming food". Down here we have the same thing..."comfort food", good for what ails us, whether it's the weather, health, worries..
I completely sympathize with you enduring the rain. Our winter seems to have been unusually wet, and when hurricanes threaten, horrific downpours result...Do take care.
Blessings, Linda

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Lovely. I now have dancing thoughts of gooseberry crumble with vanilla bean ice cream.

Peggy said...

OOH.....gooseberry! If only we could get them here! They're one of my husband's favorites, and our only source dried up a few years ago. Oh, well, will enjoy the photo and dream of how good it must have tasted!

Daisy Debs said...

There,s just nothing so good as a crumble ! yummy ! :)

Anonymous said...

Barbara, Your menu sounds perfect for such a stormy day. I don't think I've ever eaten a crumble before. Yours looks delicious! xo

ellen b. said...

Hope the weather is changing for you by now and less rainy. Seattle has had a fair bit of rain, too, and our kids are growing weary. We are dryer on this side of the mountains. A comfort meal and a yummy dessert sound good for a stormy wet day.

Lorrie said...

What a delicious and comforting meal for a dreary day. I do hope the storms cease. We are in a stretch of sunny weather - it's freezing at night, but the sunshine during the day is so, so welcome. More rain will come on the weekend, so we will soak up the light while we can.
I've never eaten gooseberry crumble, but it looks scrumptious.

Penny Peberdy said...

Love gooseberries, love crumble!

Anne Payne said...

Yum! I felt that way yesterday. We had such a fierce rain and wind storm the night before, and it was soooo cold yesterday. We had Herb Chicken and Rice soup for dinner.

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...