Thursday, 12 March 2020

Strong measures.


It's been confirmed by the W.H.O that we are in a Pandemic situation.
Everyone will deal with it in their own way and there is of course  much advice from the Government and the NHS.
We have taken the step of social distancing (not a term I was familiar with till recently.)
Becaue my 86 yr old husband is very vulnerable in his health, and I have mild Pulmonary Fibrosis, it seems sensible not to be in contact with anyone unless essential.
We have cancelled any appointments.
Cancelled visiting hairdresser, podiatrist etc.
Grocery delivery is left on the doorstep.
Even the 'children' have said that due to their work places , they would be high risk if they came to visit. My daughter works as a lecturer in a University teaching hundreds of students from all over the world. Daughter in law is in much the same profession. Son is a Manager of a large Charity shop and mixing all day with people.
However, a little bit of shopping is left on the doorstep for us now and then!
It is sad to have to do this, but sensible also.
The one thing I can't alter is having Carers for my husband, but we have a rigid system of handwashing as they enter, plus sprays/gel and wipes in each room. Before they leave they wipe down all surfaces with hospital strength wipes.
We can only do what we feel is right for us.
And continue to pray, rather than panic.

15 comments:

Terra said...

Yes, continue to pray, rather than panic. I decided to not go to Bible study today. I greatly enjoy it and the ladies, but being a senior it seems wise to stay away. I canceled a lunch with 5 friends I used to work with, scheduled for tomorrow, which I organize. Be well.

Frugally challenged said...

I too am distancing myself socially. No-one relies on me and I don't want to be a burden to anyone else so I will be going to church (big church, small congregation) and nothing else.

elizabeth said...

I think that is very wise given your situation, but so sorry you family cannot visit you! Thank God for the phone and for contact online. my Husband and I pray for you and your Husband daily!!!

Granny Marigold said...

One can only do the best we can to keep safe. Obviously you are doing just that. Isn't it convenient that these days anyone can have their groceries delivered? I still do my own shopping but my eldest daughter doesn't drive and lives some distance from any grocery store so she gets her things delivered and is very satisfied with the service.

Sandi said...

Those sound like sensible precautions. It's good that you have people to bring things, check on you, and also that your husband's carers are so diligent.

Angela said...

We've got a number of elderly folk in our church & we're taking steps to ensure everyone is OK for food etc. Our Anglican friends are offering grapes at communion, rather than sharing the chalice (we Baptists are used to tiny individual cups already) Being sensible, remembering that prayer is better than panic is the best way. Grateful for phones and Internet so we are not completely cut off from friends. God bless you both and keep you safe xxx

Carolien said...

The same situation here, Barbara. Our youngest daughter just apped that she will have an exam tomorrow and after that all lessons etc. are stopped. Let's pray it will be over soon ... Love, Carolien

ann said...

Here as well, activities are being canceled. The three major universities in our area have canceled a week or two after next weeks' spring break and that is happening all across the country. Public schools as well may shut down with teachers teaching their courses on line. The NBA (National Basketball Association) had canceled season until the crisis is over. Our stock market has plunged, and on and on. I stayed home from a meeting this morning, too. There are only handful of cases here in our state, but still who wants to risk it? But is also begs the question: Is it all so necessary? Better to be safe than sick. Our president has canceled all flights for the EU into the USA except for the UK. What a mess. We can keep each other company.

Elderberry-Rob said...

You are very wise. At work we are being prepared to work from home and expect that in the next few weeks our office will be closing until the Summer; I am washing hands on entering the house - it's difficult to get all members of the household to adhere to these new habits.

Lorrie said...

You are wise to take these precautions. We are beginning two weeks of spring break, so school will not be in session. We have a little trip planned, and will likely still take it (it's to a fairly remote area), and will keep monitoring the situation and washing our hands. My husband works in healthcare administration and this is a crazy time for him.
Remaining calm and trusting God are so important.

ellen b. said...

Yes...love that last statement. Pray instead of panic. We are in a hotel for the next few nights and it is very empty. The brand of hotel we are in have taken extra precautions to disinfect. We brought our own disinfectant and wiped down all surfaces in our room. Our state is at the epicenter in the USA and our former church is in the town where the most deaths have occurred at a care home. Our former church is delivering meals and notes of encouragement to the workers at that clinic. What a sad thing to watch. I'll keep praying.

Marigold Jam said...

Aten't we lucky to have Skype, telephones and e-mail etc so that even though physically cut of we are not totally cut off from one another. Ou daughter is working from home in London and will not be visiting us as she fears she might bring the virus to her "elderly" parents. We ae nbot yet self isolating and will go to do our weekend shopping as normal today but ae prepared to self isolate if it becomes necessary although I haven't stockpiled on goods I would be able to cope with 14 days especially as we get a vegetable box each week delivered and Riverford also do milk and groceries if necessary. So many people don't have our good fortune. Keep calm and carry on they say so we'll do just that during these strange and somewhat scary times.

Daisy Debs said...

Pray for the sick and our wonderful doctors , nurses and carers . Look out for our neighbours . Meanwhile we must keep ourselves cheerful :) x

Cheryl said...

Your preventative measures sound entirely reasonable. And "pray, rather than panic" is the perfect response!

Pom Pom said...

Saying a prayer for you both now. God be with you.

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...