Tuesday, 17 March 2020

Letters.


I had a very happy time roaming through my old Blog, Cornish Cream, recently. Mary, of Trundling through life blog, wrote to me to ask about a letter swap I had organised many years ago. She was thinking of doing the same.
First I had to find the post, which turned out to be from 2010!

But of course I had to read on and on, and forward, and backwards, sometimes with surprise at things I'd forgotten, sometimes with pleasure at seeing somewhere lovely.
A typical cottage in Brittany

Most of that blog was written while we lived in France, and letters (in English) were such a joy.
I think it is a good idea of Mary's, especially as we are semi confined to our homes in this virus season.
I had the pleasure of meeting Mary some years ago on one of her holidays. we walked round Trelissick Gardens and had coffee together.
It's rare to have a 'proper' letter nowadays, but still a treat.


12 comments:

Angela said...

Stamps are going up in price next week - but a book NOW before the price rise!

Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

How lovely! A glimpse back to another time in your life. I remember visiting you on that blog, I loved it.

In my own quiet place of isolation these days, I've been going through old scrapbooks from my college days. Oh my, what a treasure trove of memories. I'm working on a mini-memoir complete with photos and images of some of those scrapbook mementos). If it turns out, I may share some of it on my blog one day. In the meantime, I'm having great fun.

Wishing you a beautiful day, Barbara.

Sending hugs,
Brenda xox

Granny Marigold said...

It seems the only thing we find in our mailbox are bills and sale flyers. I imagine the flyers will not be so plentiful now that many stores have closed.

Elizabethd said...

I bought two!

Lorrie said...

Letters are such a treat to receive in the mail. Sending them is a way to receive them, and I'm afraid that I'm very lax in writing letters these days.

Terra said...

I do love to write and receive real letters, on paper. Most people look puzzled when this comes up in conversation. Why write when you can text, etc. I treasure my two pen pals.

Marigold Jam said...

What a lovely idea that was and I do still write and receive the occasional "proper" letter these days but if we are to be incarcerated in our homes getting them in the post or going to the post office (now at the back of WH Smith in town) might prove dificult for some of us. However don't let's give up at the first hurdle!

Deanna Rabe said...

I love finding a letter from a friend in the mail! I'm trying to start doing that again with my friends, and see if I can get them writing back!

Anonymous said...

Barbara, what a lovely thought! I hope to start sending mail again soon.

ellen b. said...

My motto this year has been "use it". I have so many note cards and such that are in my desk drawer so I'm working on sending those out with an encouraging note to the widows in my address book, especially.

Pom Pom said...

Letters are so lovely! I write letters to my Bible study kids (ten year olds) every week. Some of them save them in their drawers.
I remember so much about your France years.

Anonymous said...

Barbara, I just loved your comment and wrote a post based on it! ♥

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...