Saturday, 18 April 2020

Preparing for rationing!


Having vowed not to grow vegetables this year, here I am in full wartime mode.
My son laughed at me, but I am of the generation that remembers rationing. (I've promised to share with him when I reap my harvest)

I have little pots of French beans growing.


My tomatoes are ready to transplant.
I have three bags of potatoes planted.
It's such an easy way to grow them.
Below is a similar bag to the ones I am using.
Radishes and carrots are just beginning to germinate.
In May I hope to plant courgettes, cucumbers, peas and broad beans.
Next step is to dig up the lawn in true Blitz fashion.
That's not going to happen!

Just a photo of my Camassia plants, so pretty.

PS, Captain Tom's walk made 20 million pounds as of yesterday.

14 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

Well done you with all that you could start a vegetable stall outside your home! No joking apart I think it's good to grow our own and we too have runner beans in pots, I have a little radish farm growing in toilet roll inners in an ice cream carton thanks to a friend who gave me the idea, we have salad leaves and other things and a selection of other seeds ordered on line to add to our self sufficiency lifestyle Pity we shan't all be able to do swaps as I used to when we had the allotments in Surrey when we were much younger and fitter and there was always somebody who had too many of this and was happy to do exchange for that or the other! Good luck keep us posted.

Pom Pom said...

Hooray for you! Maybe I could grow potatoes like that. I love your rationing thinking!

ellen b. said...

Well good for you for preparing ahead. You will have a delicious bounty. Hats off to Captain Tom...so amazing!

mamasmercantile said...

Well done you. We have plans for growing more too. I have just done 10 bags of potatoes similar to yours. If we get lucky and everything grows we won't have the struggle of trying to buy veg.

elizabeth said...

that's smart and nothing better than homegrown food!!! You are blessed! God be with you!

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Wonderful Congratulations to Tom!
Starting a garden is important this year.

Granny Marigold said...

That's such a good idea, growing as many vegetables as you can. My DIL grows potatoes in bags and has had good results.

Jenny said...

I am doing the very same thing. I planted 7 tomato plants today. It's really a few weeks too early to plant them here but they should be fine....they just won't grow much until it warms up.

I know I'm not planting enough to feed my family really but it will be so very nice to have home grown & fresh for a short while at least.

Lorrie said...

Your vegetables are off to a great start! I thinned radishes yesterday and we'll be enjoying them in another week or so. I'll be starting tomato plants this week as we cannot put them out until the end of May. The potatoes in bags look interesting. Home grown food tastes delicious!
Captain Tom is wonderful!

Jackie said...

If there is one thing this pandemic has taught all of us it is to be as self sufficient as is possible. We always plant a garden, but this year I am going to add some veggie gardening in pots and buckets.

God bless.

Cheryl said...

Sounds like a sensible move. You're a skilled gardener, so I'm sure you'll reap a wonderful harvest!

Anonymous said...

Barbara, I think your seedlings are quite happy to be growing along so well! We are planting a garden soon and I am excited to rely less on the grocery stores. xo

Mrs. White said...

This is a good idea. I had not planned to garden this year either, but realize it is necessary. I loved seeing all that you are growing. Thank you for the inspiration!

Cranberry Morning said...

A real Victory Garden! Good for you Barbara. We have a large yard but it's almost all shaded. Maybe I can do container gardening and move the pots to follow the sun. Lol. Thank you for stopping in at Cranberry Morning today and leaving a comment. I hope it's warm there. Cold and windy here in Wisconsin.

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...