Today is what I call a 'Little Grey Rabbit's washing day'.
The wind is blowing, it's chilly but not freezing, and an ideal time for washing to dry on the line. As I hung the clothes out, I thought a bit more about the connection between my Grey Rabbit washing and stories.
That leads me, slightly, in a roundabout sort of way, to Books. I often think how thankful I was to my mother who brought me up to listen to stories and to read. We had all the Grey Rabbit books and in fact I still have most of them.
Here is Grey Rabbit with her washing.
Other favourites were of course , Beatrix Potter and every Pooh Bear story. Sadly came across someone not long ago who was surprised to find that Winnie the Pooh didnt originate with Disney.
I loved the Milly Molly Mandy books, about a little girl growing up in a village. Simple and much read stories.
But besides these, my mother read to me..... fascinating poetry, legends, classics. The Lady of Shalott was one, Hiawatha another. Strangely although I cant remember many of the words, I can recall the rythm of the poem, and the first lines....
By the shores of Gitche Gumee,
By the shining big sea water,
At the doorway of his wigwam,
In the pleasant Summer morning,
Hiawatha stood and waited.
Every year my Godfather sent me the newest Arthur Ransome book. How I used to wait for those stories, living them in my imagination.
I grew up with words, stories, pictures in my mind.
I was so fortunate.
Throughout my career as a Teacher of children with Special needs, I have tried to show the beauty of the written word, sometimes very simply. And if it's made a difference to only one child, then I'm happy.



21 comments:
Wow, that's quite a strong wind on the clothesline!
I love the covers of old books, especially those with limited colour printing, like the one you showed. An early book I remember well is Piggly Plays Truant - one of the first ever Ladybird books, with fabulous illustrations. And when I say recall - I can recite every word now, from first page to last... my sons had me read it to them hundreds of times - or maybe that was me insisting. Ha ha - such are the joys.
I loved Millicent Margaret Amanda! I always take boiled eggs when I go for a picnic and I think of her.
I still love children's books too Barbara. The only old British one I still have is Robert Louis Stevenson's "Child's Garden of Verses" magnificently illustrated by Charles Robinson - it's actually a 1975 redesigned version of the original 1896 edition and is beautiful. All my childhood books I left behind when I came to the US - but I believe my brother kept them and I'm sure shared with his daughter.
Yes, teaching children by reading wonderful books has always been so special. Your students were so lucky to have you.
My heart is singing as I read your post this morning, Barbara. The memories of reading all the old childhood stories and being read to are some of the very best in life. I so enjoyed catching a glimpse of your own girlhood.
Happy Friday,
Brenda xo
Ahhh, you captured that magical childhood world with your post! Grey Rabbit is lovely and all the others you mention. The soft colours, domestic detail, cosy themes... they all float my boat too! A gentler time. We went to Ashdown Forest (Pooh Bear's real setting) once ~ I almost cried, walking around, glimpses everywhere so evocative of the stories. The artist did a great job. Thank you for bringing up some very important and nurturing memories!
What lovely memories you have - I loved Peter Rabbit books and so did my sons. My oldest son had some kind of dyslexia which was helped by red and green coloured plastic sheets placed over the page when he learned to read and my younger son, as you know, is on the autistic spectrum and found reading a challenge but it is so important for children to be able to read a good story to themselves I believe. I loved the Arthur Rackham books for their illustrations and my grandmother had The Waterbabies with the most beautiful illustrations in a very old book - wish I had it but it's probably made it's way to a collector by now as it was so old and beautiful:)
I grew up with words, stories, pictures in my mind.
I was so fortunate.
You and me both, although I lived this life of books in a different country and a different language. As a solitary child books were all I had. Now I am a solitary widow and books are all I have. Books and an attempt at writing. Reading and gardening.
I looked after my husband for two years, until he died, three years ago, so we have that in common too. I hope you will have him for many years yet, life gets to be lonely without your soulmate.
I loved your comment on The Bike Shed, you sound so cross, another emotion I can wholly support. That’s how I found you.
The joy of reading started early for me and I used to love the bookmobile and checking out books from the library. My siblings and I would have to walk to the library a mile and a half from our house. I didn't read Grey Rabbit books or the Ransome books. Didn't know about them. I love the illustration.
You really were fortunate to have so much exposure to so much wonderful literature growing up. Happy Valentine's Day weekend to you!
Books have always been a big part of my life, from a very early age. I hadn't heard about the Grey Rabbit stories until this post, but I will look them up. I never knew about Arthur Ransome until a few years ago and ordered two of them and loved them. I've passed Swallows and Amazons on to a grandchild and I'm eager to hear what she thinks of them.
I recently came upon a quotation that I had copied into a notebook:
"What we read as children can greatly influence who we are. A worrying thought when one considers some of the influences inflicted upon our children and grand children today."
So many children are growing up never hearing those beloved stories that we had read to us and later we read to ourselves. It's a pity.
My mom started reading to me almost from the day I was born. Probably why I have a love of books and reading.
One is never lonely when immersed in a story.
God bless.
Books are such blessings in our lives! I loved hearing about these book treasures ❤
I grew up reading too, sometimes up to four books on the go at one time. Libraries visits were the best times. And we raised our children with books, reading to them as soon as we could, and they're all raising their children with books. And I remember some of the stories that you're sharing about here, will explore finding the others - for myself and for the grandchildren.
What a trip down Memory Lane all those books you mention are!! I too loved the same ones.
Isn't it interesting how many of us started reading early and developed a lifelong love of books. My mom introduced me and my siblings to the library at a very early age. My nose was always in a book. Such a wonderful thing because we have all traveled far and wide in our books. I did not know The Little Gray Rabbit, nor Milly Molly Mandy, but it's never too late right? :)
This was a lovely post. And I couldn't agree with you more about the importance of reading to children.
Blessings, Linda
I, too, had a mother who read to me and what a blessing that was! A Child's Garden of Verses, Heidi, so many "Little Golden Books" . . . One of my greatest pleasures in raising children was reading with them! We have so many shared memories around the books we read together. I still miss it . . .
Thanks for warm feelings this post inspired this morning!
I have loved to read, everyday, since I was 6 years old. I didn't grow up in a reading house, and my mother was amazed that I'd finished a book so quickly! I read many classics as an adult, even children's classic books, because I didn't have anyone guiding my reading as a child.
I taught all of my children to read, and I am so blessed to have been able to share that with them!
play bazaar nice work online
top warehousing companies in india om logistics Logistics is the highly acclaimed top logistics company in India, providing supply chain management services for organizations across 160+ countries around the globe.
3pl logistics companies in india
Post a Comment