Sunday, 19 December 2021

Fourth Sunday in Advent...little joys.

 The fourth candle is lit.

Sometimes this is a purple candle, and represents Love, Peace, but is also known as the Angel candle. My little Angels come out every year and guard the candles very beautifully.


This Angel was given to me in Austria, when we stayed for a Christmas holiday in a little mountain village hotel. The snow was falling but the warmth of the welcome was so kind. After dinner on Christmas Eve, the hosts gathered us together and read the Christmas story, in German, then presented gifts.
A really lovely surprise.


Other little joys;

on the back of my door....so many beautiful Christmas cards from all over the world,


....and this little gem, who has suddenly decided to flower.


 Trying to make time for moments of reflection as we approach Christ's birth.





14 comments:

KirstenM said...

There are 'small moments' of joy all around - I love the title of your blog for reminding me of this. Thank you.

Angela said...

I have a little tree decoration from my visit to Salzburg. I remember when I went, you told me how special Austria was for you - and I thought of you as I put it on the tree last week. The memories behind these decorations which cone out each year are so precious

Elderberry-Rob said...

I love the story of how you came to own your angel. Lighting candles is such a beautiful way for us to create small moments of spirituality, comfort, meditation, they are such a good way to focus :)

Mary said...

Oh lucky you getting your cactus to bloom for Christmas, mine is just green, not a bud in sight - although I've tried to do what's required! Still pretty though.
Your cards look lovely - I still like to get them for the holidays, and I sent out about 60 this year! My favorite received one is a healthy chubby English robin - as usual - and it's on my fridge right now!
Hugs to you and M xx

Lorrie said...

These small moments are so filled with poignancy and meaning. I very much enjoyed the story of how you came to have that sweet angel. We receive fewer cards than we did, but I still like to send them. I save some special ones from previous years to look over. My Christmas cactus is like Mary's - no sign of buds at all.

Granny Marigold said...

We'll light the fourth candle this evening when we eat supper. My candles are all red ones too although I think there are specific colours for each week of Advent. My Christmas cactus bloomed in November. All finished now. Yours is so full of lovely blooms.
I hope you have a very happy and blessed Christmas.

Jackie said...

I love small moments of joy, if we just open our eyes like you do, we find them in the most unexpected of places.

God bless.

Kezzie said...

Ah, small moments of joy are the very things that keep us going!x

ellen b. said...

Such beautiful and meaningful small moments. Love that angel and memory of your time in that mountain village. Beautiful and timely blooms!

elizabeth said...

I love your story of the angel gift so much ❤ blessed Christmas to you and your Husband and family
❤🕯🙏

Mrs. White said...

So inspiring! Thank you!

Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Such dear little spots of Christmas peace and joy. Love that little angel from Austria and the story that goes with it. And I do like how you have dropped ribbons from the top of your door on which to display your Christmas cards.

Wishing you and Malcolm a blessed and Happy Christmas, dear Barbara.
Brenda xo

Linda Baker said...

Merry Christmas!
Lighting the Advent candles is so meaningful... The promises of hope,peace,joy and love.
My cactus bloomed a couple of weeks ago. Originally it was a small piece of one of my sister's and has done quite well.
The story about your angel is precious.
Blessings, Linda

Anne Payne said...

Your Christmas cactus is gorgeous!!! Mine has been outside and not getting too much warmth or sun, so no blooms I'm sad to say. With our move back to NC, I have to find just the right spots for my plants to flourish.

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...