I like making soup, and this is the time of year when the days are colder and a pan of soup bubbling away makes everything feel warmer. I think if I had an Aga I would have a constant soup pan cooking gently all day.
This week it has been Leek and potato soup. My vegetables come from a local farm where everything is produced within a couple of miles, and is so fresh.
Just over a litre of this lovely greeny liquid will go into small boxes in the freezer. Just enough for my lunch, accompanied by a slice of fresh bread. or a cheese scone. Yum.
Auguste Escoffier, a renowned chef, said;
Soup puts the heart at ease, calms down the violence of hunger, eliminates the tensions of the day, and awakens and refines the appetite.
A steaming bowl of soup certainly puts my heart at ease....not sure about the 'violence' of hunger!

17 comments:
That looks delicious!
I think that quote perfectly captures the essence of soup :)
I love soup all year round. I do find it so comforting.
I made a butternut soup last week. I have a soup maker but an Aga would be wonderful!
Your lovely potato and leek soup!!! Enjoy.
God bless.
I enjoy leek and potato soup so much! My husband grows the leeks in our garden each summer and then I freeze them for in soups and casseroles during the winter. Your soup looks delicious!
What a brilliant quote. I'm preparing soup for this evening's meal. So comforting
Your Leek soup looks delicious. I am also making soup today...Broccoli & Cheese, and I'll take a loaf of bread out of the freezer to go with it. GM
I love the wonderful season of soup! Leek and potato is a favorite.
I used to buy Bisquick but now I make my own mix and keep it handy in the fridge. Recipes for the mix are easy to find on-line. GM
I thought everyone in England had an AGA. Just kidding. Mags told me they are very expensive and very expensive to keep fueled. I have been watching Doc Martin again and I am addicted to Port Wen (Port Isaac) and I want to live there. I bet people think that that everyone that lives in Colorado rides horses and sports cowboy boots. LOL!
Pom Pom - You mean . . ??? You mean you DON'T all ride horses and wear cowboy boots?
Similarly, we who live in Cornwall don't all speak like a pirate ("Oooooh arrrr!") or Cap'n Poldark.
As for Agas . . I had a week's holiday in a house that had an Aga and I fell in love with it. It warmed the kitchen beautifully as well as cooked delicious mwals (I went armed with a friend's Aga cookbook). A wonderful & desirable thing.
Now I'm craving Leek and Potato soup . . . .
I do appreciate a good bowl of soup, and Escoffier's words ring true to me. I make at least one pot each week and we eat it for lunches with bread and cheese. There's nothing so satisfying on a chilly day. Leek and Potato Soup is always a winner - yours looks delicious.
I too made leek and potato soup last week - always a favorite. Do you puree or eat it chunky? This time I wasn't too happy with the potatoes, too mushy!
This week I've already made roasted tomato/red pepper/basil soup, and butternut squash soup - all due to using up vegs before leaving for Arizona for Thanksgiving! Enjoyed some of each, remainder in the freezer for later.
Hugs, Mary
YES! Nothing so good and comforting on a cold winter day than a hot bowl of SOUP! ☺♥
You are so right about it being time to make and enjoy soup. Leek and potato soup is always a winner here.
I love leek and potato soup, warming and filling, but today we had curried parsnip soup and it was delicious.
This is so inspiring! Soup is such a comforting and nutritious food. It is a wonderful idea to save some in the freezer, prepared in advance, for lunches.
Post a Comment