Tuesday, 5 December 2023

Christmas markets

 I have just spent a weekend in beautiful Bath, with a friend, to see the Christmas markets. 



Bath has always been a favourite place of mine. It's a very gracious city, and we were fortunate to find a lovely boutique hotel about 10 minutes walk from the centre. My friend took her new puppy as the hotel was dog-friendly.


The little chalets were all over the centre of the city, selling so many different things, candles, wreaths, woolly socks, mulled wine and many hand made goods. It was bitterly cold and we wrapped up well.

By the time two or three hours had passed, the crowds were getting too much for us, thousands of people thronged the markets and it was time, with a little dog, to move on.


I'm in charge for a moment!

The Abbey looked very beautiful, but again there were just too many people. It was a reviving weekend, somewhere and something different.

16 comments:

Sara said...

How lovely and fun. Sorry about the crowds though. It's great you were lodged so close by and could enjoy it before the crowds arrived. It's good to see you! Looks like you had the puppy well controlled while you were in charge. They are so full of energy and enthusiasm.

Pom Pom said...

That looks VERY fun! The puppy is so cute! I want to go to our Christmas market, but it's kind of scary downtown so I won't. I'm glad you got to go to Bath and have a good time!

Granny Marigold said...

OH I'd love to wander around and look at all the pretties at that Christmas Market. Daughter Sheila and I are going to a couple of shops today ( she's on holidays) so that will be fun. I will take my cane along because I'm getting a little unstable on my feet.

KirstenM said...

I loved our visit to Bath several years ago. I really want to visit the Persephone Book Shop, which I used to go to whenever I was in the Bloomsbury area of London.

Angela said...

How lovely. Bath is a beautiful city at the best of times, but especially in the festive season. So glad you could visit

Terri said...

That sounds like so much fun!

Jackie said...

We visited Bath many years ago and loved it. We got to watch so many entertainers in that square.

God bless.

ellen b. said...

How nice to enjoy the markets with a friend. So many places allow pets these days.

Lorrie said...

How lovely to have a little getaway to Bath. I would like to visit one day, but for now enjoy others' photos. Christmas markets are fun. A good idea to leave when the crowds intensified.

Cheryl said...

Sounds like a charming getaway . . . with just enough time to enjoy before the crowds descended!

Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

That sounds lovely. Happy to hear you got away to Bath with a friend and her beautiful dog.

Catherine said...

I love Bath and lived one year in Chippenham Wiltshire and often went to Bath, such a beautiful place!

Dianna said...

How fun to be able to attend that Christmas market in Bath! I love Christmas markets, but unfortunately where we live there aren't any.

Elderberry-Rob said...

I have had some lovely trips to Bath, including a school trip to the Roman baths! It's nice to see a picture of you and I think it must have been fun having the little dog along with you both. Christmas markets are lovely but usually overcrowded unfortunately. Christmas at Borough Market and the walk along the Embankment towards the Tate Gallery then later Covent Garden Market is our usual annual Christmas market trip to London.

Rambler said...

Lovely to visit Bath's Christmas Market, Barbara. I notice that you have a walking stick ,and dark glasses, the same as myself these days. I can no longer drive due to Macular Degeneration. the car is gone and I miss it so much, the freedom to go out to favourite places in Cornwall, especially to the sea. No dog any more either. Best wishes - Rosemary x

Chris said...

How wonderful Bath is a lovely city, I went there one summer when the students were all performing music and dance, it was amazing.. I envy you going yo the Christmas market.

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...