Sunday, 2 June 2024

D Day



On 6th June, Truro will be joining towns and cities across the UK to celebrate the 80th Anniversary of D Day. This was a day when the Allied forces joined to launch the largest amphibious invasion ever witnessed. Canadians, Americans and British all aiming to defeat the enemy.



The day here will begin with a proclamation in the city at 8am by our Town Crier, accompanied by a Guard of Honour.


 This will be followed by a wreath laying ceremony at the War Memorial in the centre of the town, with the Mayor in attendance. Members of the Truro branch of the British Legion will be paying tribute to all those who lost their lives on the Normandy shores.


In the evening there will be the lighting of a Beacon with a tribute read by the Mayor. I'm thankful that this is being so well remembered.
Some years ago we went to visit Gold Beach, one of the key landing points on the coast. Somehow, even so many years later, there was an overlying impression of sorrows.

This amazing installation, overlooking Gold beach, represents the silhouettes of 1500 servicemen who died here. The figures were created this year in a workshop in Oxfordshire and have been placed on the beach for a short duration..

Such a poignant scene.

7 comments:

Lorrie said...

Thank you for this post, Barbara. Those figures on Gold Beach are poignant. So many lives lost, and yet the tide was turned. We visited Juno Beach (Canadian landing site) several years ago and found it very meaningful.

ellen b. said...

Such a worthy tribute. That installation is very poignant, indeed.

Jackie said...

Canada placed figures on the Juno beach a few years back, I cried when I saw all those figures in a photo. Proud of what the allies achieved that day.

God bless.

KirstenM said...

Even our village has a D-day celebration this evening at the care home. I think that's a lovely idea to hold it there so older residents can join in.

elizabeth said...

Incredibly poignant ❤️🙏

Elizabethd said...

Something very weird has happened to my blog. I cant make changes, cant find my followers list. I need a magic wand!

Anonymous said...

Hope you get it sorted soon - I liked the layout on your original blog. What are the pink flowers on the heading of the new one ? I can't seem to comment.

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...