Twice a month I volunteer at our local 'Wellbeing hub', run for older and housebound people. Usually around fifteen to twenty folk come, some brought by family, some by special transport. We meet between 11am and 1o'clock, and the session includes an activity and lunch.
Activities vary, sometimes there is a singer, sometimes a quiz or a talk. But every now and then we include a Craft session, and today I was organising it.
We made decorative Christmas trees . I cut out the basic shapes in green card, stuck some backing on and glued a 'lollipop' stick between the two.
Over the years, like so many of you, I have hoarded, sorry , collected, masses of useful things. Boxes of sequins, ribbons, lace, sparkly string, stick on labels and more and more.
This is what we produced.
(poor photos, sorry.)
Many of our ladies and gentlemen are in their 80s and 90s and hands don't always work so well. But everyone seemed to be delighted to be chasing sequins round the table, sticking on sparkly bits, gluing themselves to the table and comparing notes with each other.
The finished trees were then hot glued into cotton reels and 'finished' with a touch of snow.
It was fascinating seeing the differences in the way people approached this. One gentleman's was very precise, another lady's was' throw it all on and enjoy the Bling'.
They all had something to take home to show to friends. Then they settled down to a very good lunch.
For some of them it will have been the only day when they have been able to come out and mingle with friends.
It's good to be a part of such a morning.

16 comments:
My brother goes to such a program, only I don't think they do crafts. Rather they play games and exercise.
The crafters did an awesome job of their trees.
God bless.
A lovely idea! I think I can tell which tree was made by the gentleman who was very precise. ππππ
πππ Is that really what Christmas trees cost now?
Your pie looks wonderful.
The trees are lovely. What a nice holiday craft!
Jo
Beautiful! I would live to do this with the patients I visit at the Hospital, but all activities have to be done at their bedside now, so glue and sequins, paint and glitter are forbidden. Maybe I could work out a less messy Pritt stick version
Those trees are a great idea. I shall share this with a friend who helps at craft flues for older people and also children. They look really good,
What fun! The child in many of us still loves to create crafts no matter how old we are. Lovely mementos for the season.
What a worthwhile program. I love the trees! Have a lovely end of November!
People love making things no matter how old. A lovely Christmas craft, and I can imagine the chatter around the crafting tables.
It’s such a good idea to have people meet before Christmas and have something to bring home to give them joy!
I love this! They must have had such a lovely time!
Barbara, that is so wonderful! What a sweet and creative idea. The trees are great!
This is a wonderful campaign and so good that they support it.
It's nice that every participant was able to be active and now has a souvenir.
What a nice idea to put the Christmas trees in spools of thread :-)))
Many kind regards come to you from Viola
I wish you a wonderful first Advent.
It's a worthwhile thing to volunteer time on - I don't think we have this in my neck of the woods. The crafting went well but most of all I should think the joy of being creative with other people must have shone through :) Betty
Those trees are adorable! I love when I hear about these type of programs for seniors.
How lovely to be creative, enjoy a nice meal, and connect with people all at the same time!
Post a Comment