Wednesday, 29 January 2025

'These are a few of my unfavourite things'.

Words and  Phrases I do not like. (Because I'm old fashioned and a traditionalist.)

Sorry, not sorry. 

What's not to like. 

How good is that.

Gen Z. Boomer. Millennial.

Hi Guys. Swear words.

And, being called by my Christian name by a random, unknown, unwanted sales person on the phone. (Twice today)

I'm sure there are lots more, but those are the most annoying. 

Just in case you wanted to know.

😆

21 comments:

Donna said...

I hate..."like...like...like...like"!!!!!!!! People that say that after every other word have a very limited vocabulary! grrr...besides, it's so Irritating!
hugs
Donna

ellen b. said...

Language, in general, has gone downhill over time. Unlike the older crime shows we enjoy on Britbox/Acorn, the new shows feel they need to litter the vocabulary with cuss words. Time for a good classic like Pride and Prejudice. Take care.

Poppypatchwork said...

I really don't like ...sleeps to go, counting down to special things, it just irritates me.

Angela said...

Pacifically not specifically. Use of "myself" instead of "me" Less not fewer. It is what it is. (She spoke to myself about the pacific situation where there were less options) It is what it is. Oh dear!!

Visits With Mary said...

Great list of "don't likes" and I'll add one to it . . . whatever....I hate getting that response to anything. With that said, I hope you have a great day♥

Lorrie said...

One of our daughters studied linguistics in university, the other is an English teacher. There were often amicable disagreements about language usage with the linguist saying language is always in flux and the teacher insisting on proper rules. Current casual English is full of your "unfavourite things," of which many could be on my list, too. I enjoyed reading your list.
Hope you are feeling stronger each day.

Elizabethd said...

!!!!

Kay G. said...

I can't stand how everything is reduced to just initials now. They were talking on the news of the USPS. Took me a second, that means our postal service! GDOT, that is Georgia Dept. Of Transportation. No one likes words now. Oh! And "moving forward", I hate that!

Anonymous said...

I can’t stand it if we are eating out and the waiter/ waitress says, ‘And what can I get you guys?’ And as far as English grammar is concerned, I really hate people saying, ‘WOULD OF’, ‘ COULD OF’, ‘SHOULD OF’ and ‘MIGHT OF’!

Jackie said...

I am really having a problem with people who don't seem to know the difference between to, two and too. Or they're, there and their. Drives me crazy when I am reading a post on Facebook and people do that. There are also way too many spelling mistakes!!!!!

God bless.

Granny Marigold said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs. White said...

I love your list! It made me smile! God bless you!!

elizabeth said...

awwwwww. it's hard, these changes. I am sending you a big HUG!

Elderberry-Rob said...

The phrases I hear a lot at work that irritate me are 'let's have a group huddle' (informal meeting), 'we have arranged some upskilling' (we have training), 'let's take a deep dive' (let's look closer at this) and 'lets park that' (put that idea aside for now); mostly used by middle management and below who think it makes them sound clever. As I retire at the end of February, I will be very pleased to no longer hear them! Betty

Elizabethd said...

Also known as 'getting down with the kids'? Where has our language gone?

Rambler said...

Barbara, I love your list and agree with you on all of them. I have an ever-inreasing hatred of "Absolutely" when it is used in place of a simple and straight-forward 'Yes!'
I hope you are beginning to feel much better now. xxx

Rambler said...

. . . people who can pronounce 'th' but always say 'ff' . . . I fought so!" "I fink it will be sunny later." And those who pronounce the letter aitch with an aitch on the front! It's not HAITCH!!!

KirstenM said...

So... I find it really difficult not to begin sentences with 'so'... which is something I deplore in others. Also
'Absolutely ' or 'that's a very good question ' to begin a reply... when did that become a thing? And when did 'when did that become a thing' become a thing anyway???

Cheryl said...

Oh dear. I am afraid that I (silently) correct grammar all the time! (Although I can't say that I never say any of your "unfavourite things.")

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

I agree that the phrases on your list are very annoying when used repeatedly.

Elaine said...

I hate to hear "of" being used instead of "have" - perhaps these people have never read anything other than text messages?

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...