Sunday, 16 February 2025

Our Ferry


While I was reading Lorrie's interesting account of the ferry crossing from Vancouver Island to the mainland, it occurred to me that we too have a nearby (but slightly different) ferry.
Our ferry crosses the water from Trelissick Gardens (near my home) on the left side of the map, to the Roseland Peninsula on the right. It saves a car journey of about 25 miles, through Truro.



This amazing photo, taken pre 1888, shows the first attempts at crossing, using horses, two rowing boats tied together and planks laid across them.



Here's the next version, bringing a horse and cart over.
A group of gentlemen worked together in 1887, forming a company to run a steam/chain ferry to bring livestock and people over the water.

The King Harry Steam Ferry was initiated in 1888 as a submerged chain ferry Bridge, using a steam engine to pull the ferry along the chains, and replacing a manually propelled barge that was previously used on the route. (Wikipedia)

Apparently a gentleman's horse was permitted on the ferry, while the farmer's horse had to swim by the side!


Below is today's version of the Ferry, the 7th one, I believe. 
I remember as a child, travelling across on one of the older ferries, with my bike, ready to cycle to St Mawes with my Mum.

The Ferry today is so popular especially with holiday visitors. It brings not only cars, but cyclists, work vans, small buses and even Ambulances. It takes between 10 and 15 minutes to cross, and you can hear the chains underneath clanking as it moves. It runs every 20 minutes most days, though very bad weather will mean that it stops.




 It's a very different Ferry from the old days!



14 comments:

Catherine said...

I spent my childhood in a village by the river Seine our ferries are red but the same as your blue one and we used it a lot to go on the other side of the river by bike.
I remember it was not crossing when it was foggy .

Angela said...

I loved coming across the ferry when we visited you a few years ago. When the children were young, we frequently crossed the Thames on the Woolwich Ferry.

Chatty Crone said...

Well, I have to admit I have never ridden a ferry. I don't live in any place like you do - so you are going to have to explain it all to me.

Sandi said...

The old pictures make me think about their lives and how quickly it all passes.

Lorrie said...

The original ferry with the two rowboats was very inventive. I wonder how well it worked. How quickly change comes and I am thankful for the newer ferries of today.
There are open deck ferries like yours in some places on the coast here, too. But I don't think they have any chains to clank!
Thanks, Barbara.

Jackie said...

How interesting to see how the ferry changed over the years.

God bless.

Granny Marigold said...

We've taken the ferry across to Vancouver Island a number of times through the years and always found it interesting. The scenery is great.

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

It was interesting to hear about the development and history of your local ferry. I enjoy using a ferry when I get the chance on holiday.

ellen b. said...

People are so innovative. I like seeing the progress of travel. We used to live closer to the Seattle area where ferry travel is common to get to all the surrounding islands or just to get across the Puget Sound.

KirstenM said...

The King Harry Ferry was one of the things we did every year with our children when we came to stay with my parents in Falmouth. Also Trelissick and Trebar gardens.

Cheryl said...

Fascinating evolution of your ferry! There is something so charming about a ferry. Occasionally, we'll take a ferry on a Sunday drive as we meander the back roads. It's a small thrill!

Barwitzki said...

You present us with a wonderful sequence of ferries... we often forget today how inventive the development was. However, I use ferries with great pleasure and gratitude, as they conveniently shorten long distances.
We also have a cable ferry nearby... it's a quiet crossing.
Many greetings to you in Cornwell, dear Elisabeth.

Donna said...

I love a ferry! We had one at home in Connecticut...
hugs
Donna

Chris said...

Sweet memories especially on the ferry with your mum to then cycle together.

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...