Sunday, 16 November 2025

Slow days

The days seem pleasantly slow here. 

We have had a week of rain and more rain. Leaves have dropped off the trees, but there are still, unbelievably, roses flowering. This is an old photo of Rose Graham Thomas, as it's too wet to go out to take a photo!




Not being quite as mobile as normal has meant that I have had to find some ways of feeling useful. So began the job of sorting out Christmas cards. Do you buy cards from Charities? I try always to have a bit of a mix, so this year I bought National Trust cards, and also cards from a Charity called 'Child Aid'. Their amazing work is mainly rebuilding lives of abandoned and disabled families in Eastern Europe .

I'm so pleased that the Hyacinth bulbs planted in September are now showing their little green tops. Soon they will come in from the cool garage to the sitting room, and I'm hoping for six gorgeously scented plants by Christmas.



 Slowly, slowly....onwards and upwards. Thank you for the many kind messages of encouragement.


17 comments:

Gill said...

Having sorted out the underbed drawer that I store Christmas wrapping paper, tags, money envelopes and cards in have found that I won't need to buy anything in that line for at least 3 years! Xx

Granny Marigold said...

Your Hyacinths are looking very perky! They'll be so amazing when they all bloom. The scent will be glorious.

ellen b. said...

Glad you have things about the home for cheering and less mobile things to keep you busy. I love the charity Christmas cards in England.

Cheryl said...

I am glad that your slow days are also pleasant days! Good for you for finding useful things to do during your recovery!

doodles n daydreams said...

My sister is anticipating a knee replacement before Christmas so has everything bought, ordered or wrapped so she doesn't have to worry about it. Then she will be able to just concentrate on getting well for Christmas, her family will come to her.

Lorrie said...

You are making the most of your slow days. I planted paperwhite narcissus yesterday and have a trio of hyacinth bulbs to plant in the soil I am rehydrating. The Graham Thomas roses are very pretty.

Angela said...

We are all so glad you are making good progress!

KirstenM said...

Yellow is such a cheering colour at this time of year. I have one red rose bud outside the window but I doubt it will survive the week. And I'll need to arrange for winter accommodation for my geraniums (I know, pelargoniums!) in a hurry.
Christmas card time always arrives so fast, always catches me by surprise!
Good to hear you're getting better.

Sal said...

I hope that you are very much on the mend!
I was thinking of writing my Christmas cards this week and yes, I do buy from charities as well as making a few of my own. I love the scent of Hyacinths.

Sandi said...

I am sending out very few cards this year. I bought them from Wal-Mart. 😕 Probably a charity would have been better! I didn't think of it.

Deanna Rabe said...

I am glad you've found ways to do useful things while you recover. Your roses are lovely! I had one small pink rose in bloom in November! Unheard of!

Jackie said...

Slow days enable us to enjoy those useful things we can accomplish while recovering. You are doing very well.
I am not sure how many cards I will send out this year. Canada Post is doing rotating strikes so I am not sure they would arrive in time at all.

God bless.

Elderberry-Rob said...

Your posts always have a calm and serene aura! hyacinths for Christmas sounds lovely - my husband is allergic although I love their scent, I have a couple on the allotment, hope they flower. Don't go outside unless you have to, it's going to be slippery and wet! Take care - do you still have your 'lap cat'? would love to see a picture of him

Elderberry-Rob said...

me again, forgot to answer the question - I don't buy Christmas cards, I usually get a few printed of one of my masterpieces (joke) but few people send them and I have a very small friend/family circle. I donate to homeless charities by other ways - i,e. you can buy a Christmas dinner for someone or a bed for the night.

Pom Pom said...

Hello! Good for you, taking it a bit easy. Your bulbs are going to be a lovely treat! I hope you are staying nice and warm. I'm so glad you are healing up so nicely!

Catherine said...

I forgot to get hyacinth this year but I will try to by some ready to bloom 😂 hope you are getting better and better for Christmas!

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

Isn't it amazing how long roses can flower for, even in the colder weather of November. Your hyacinths will something lovely to look forward to in a few weeks time. Hope you are improving and that you are able to get around more easily. Take care x

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...