Saturday, 20 December 2025

A lone Rose

 What a delight to see this rose in the garden this morning.

This is Graham Thomas, who is a deeper yellow than the photo shows. and sadly has no scent. 




It was cold and windy in the garden this morning so I brought Graham in. I think he will last a bit longer inside.


I'm watching a Concert of Carols, and loving the tried and tested words and music, remembering the days when as children we used to go and sing for our neighbours. We dont seem to have wandering Carol singers now, sadly.

11 comments:

Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

What a lovely rose. So glad you could bring it inside to enjoy a few days more. Loved the line "loving the tried and tested words and music". Like you, I do love our beautiful old carols. Their joyful strains continue to lift, comfort, and bring hope to our hearts... "a weary world rejoices".

Happy Christmas, dear Barbara (your card didn't get in the mail in time this year).

Sending love and heart hugs,
Brenda xo

Jackie said...

What a lovely rose. I have an attachment to yellow roses as that is what I carried when I got married.

God bless.

elizabeth said...

A beautiful rose 🥰😍🤩 thank God that you have such beautiful memories 🫂 of Christmas caroling

Poppypatchwork said...

A perfect rose, enjoy the bloom, we miss carol singers as well. I also loved watching the children sing carols in their Christmas services, their young voices matched so many of the tunes.

KirstenM said...

Isn't that pretty!
I used to enjoy carol singing round the neighbourhood when I was younger.

ellen b. said...

The title of your post reminds me of the song 'Lo how a rose ere blooming'
Caroling is sadly a thing of the past. I'm thankful we still sing traditional hymns in our church services. Enjoy your beautiful rose! Merry Christmas to you!

Lorrie said...

How lovely that you can enjoy your rose indoors for a few days. A little gift from your garden.
The old carols are so beautiful, with deep meaning to the words.

Granny Marigold said...

Such a pretty yellow rose and blooming at this time of the year! She's better off indoors protected from the weather and close by so you can enjoy her.
Have a wonderful Christmas 🎄.

Elderberry-Rob said...

Lovely to have a rose at this time of year. It's turning colder now in sunny Surrey and while we were sunning ourselves in Mauritius, the trees have lost their leaves in 2 weeks. I made a wreath from a surprisingly plentiful supply of landscaped bushes around my housing estate and holly from the woods. I think a lot of holly berries is supposed to mean a hard Winter is coming. Hope you have recuperated and are feeling fit and mobile. Betty x

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

Graham Thomas is a beautiful rose to grow and it is lovely to see the last bloom on your table.
Have a happy Christmas and a peaceful New Year.

Barwitzki said...

How lovely to see your rose.
It's around 0 degrees Celsius here, and it might snow tomorrow or even tonight.
I love listening to Christmas music; I wish you much joy.
Merry Christmas!
Hug Viola

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...