Although I can't get out and about yet, I thought I'd show you some of our local Christmas Markets. This main one in Truro has recently evolved from a big Marquee into these charming little covered stalls. Very European. Even the gentleman with a regular pitch to sell The Big Issue, has been given his own little cabin!
This area, known as The Piazza, is a large open space, but I remember it as a large Car park many years ago, and also a place where the annual Fair came, with its swirling roundabouts and stalls.
Truro Cathedral has its own Christmas Market, with stalls containing 'Made in Cornwall' items. The Christmas tree is always a thing of beauty.
Almost every village has a Christmas market of one size or another, usually held in our village halls, and always well attended. We have street light Switch ons, Father Christmas village bus, Artisan markets, wreath making, So many exciting events for all ages.
I loved reading your memories of the 'Old ways'. Many were familiar, Vicks, Milk of Magnesia, Malt Extract (oh yum), and I also remembered that if we had bad cold, Grandma would tie a piece of Camphor into a hanky. The smell was very lovely!



13 comments:
Those are adorable! I would love to visit some place like that at Christmas time.
What beautiful pictures! It must be lovely to visit the Christmas markets there!
The idea of Christmas markets appeal to me. Love the tree in the cathedral! I have not started on my Christmas cards, either.
My but that tree is beautiful! I'd love to come and browse in that market.
I meant to do my cards today but I didn't get to them. Hopefully tomorrow.
I hope you're getting more mobile as the days pass.
I've just added 'write cards' to my list. Every year I say I'll make them; every December I come to my senses and buy them!
The Christmas markets in our local city are just toooo busy now, people just love them. I don't think I've ever visited Truro cathedral, I find old churches and cathedrals such a place of peace, I like to just go in a sit and soak in the atmosphere. I agree the tree is just beautiful.
On your post yesterday you mentioned Lucozade - that was what I would have when I was ill as a child. I remember it wrapped in the orange cellophane. I also had Milk of Magnesia (yuck) and Calpol (yum). And mum insisted on spoonfuls of cod liver oil to build me up (double yuck). Fun memories.
I can remember it being a car park. With the village hall behind it where all the lovely fleamarkets were held. Oh and the short stay in this dodgy car park just a few minutes away, haha!
For those in Cornwall and able to get about: there is a wonderful Dickensian evening in Lostwithiel on the 11th/12th of December!!
I love to shop at markets as well as small shops. Sometimes I like to just browse and not buy, so many interesting things to see. There have been lots of changes in my little town over the years. We used to be self sufficient with our shops up and down our main street. But the big malls in the Houston area are too much competition and now most of them are out of business. {{sigh}}
Many is the time I wish we had Christmas markets. We do have a very few vendors that set up a "stall" in the hall of our shopping mall, but I really would love a large market.
God bless.
European-style Christmas markets are so appealing. We visited a German one (the vendors and goods were from Germany) in Vancouver a couple of times. So enjoyable! Love the tree in the church. Gorgeous.
The Christmas tree in Truro cathedral is beautiful. Thank you for telling us about some of your local Christmas markets.
I had camphor too in a little fabric bag under my clothes when there was an epidemic of flu. I when to Truro in the past but in Summer I would love to see the Christmas markets in Cornwall!
Post a Comment