Spring must be near, with the influx of garden catalogues arriving.
It's so hard not to be seduced by amazing new vegetables...a tomato and potato on the same plant?
I am reining in my wishlist this year.
I don't have a huge plot and I don't have unlimited amounts of time.
So I shall probably just grow some of the things that are nicest to pick from the garden, such as Broad beans, Runner beans and Mangetout peas.
And a Courgette (Zucchini)
And maybe a cucumber.
I won't bother with leeks this year, as around 50% were small and thin last year. Sainsburys does it better!
Potatoes are a must, but again I'm limiting myself to one large pot and one small area of garden. Last year I grew the variety Nicola in a large pot , and they were very good.
Of course, I can't be without my greenhouse Tomatoes.
Maybe I'll try a new variety this year.
And the Cucumber too.
And then there's the flower garden!
Choices , choices.
Sweet Williams? Alstromeria? Scabious?
Sweet Williams? Alstromeria? Scabious?
I have to go through those catalogues very carefully.

21 comments:
It is a wonderful hobby to choose your seeds for the year-to-come, browsing through the magazines, admiring the pictures ... enjoy!!!
Love, Carolien
Enjoy your garden dreaming. It all sounds wonderful!
I love vegetables straight from the garden, they are so good. Time to plant will soon be here.
It's so easy to go overboard and order more than one really wants (and this I know from experience!). Your choices sound sensible and will allow you the pleasure of something fresh every day once they've grown. Of course 'sensible' isn't necessarily a word that comes to mind when planning for flowers. My advice? Just buy what you love!
Hi Elizabeth! It's fun to look toward a new season of growth, away from the dark days of winter isn't it? Ugh. I'm done with winter, but it's not done with us over here in the states I'm afraid.
I've never tried to grow potatoes, I bet that would be fun. I have some muck buckets that are pretty deep. Maybe they would grow in there?
Good luck picking out some great, growing treasures that won't take up too much of your time.
Monday blessings!
Ceil
I think your approach to a vegetable garden is perfect. It truly is amazing just how much food can be grown in pots! The daffodils are so beautiful. Ours won't bloom of for weeks yet. I hope you are past the pneumonia, for it can become very bad so quickly. None-the-less, I am sure that it was very nice having your daughter, even for a short time. She is so far away. Have a good week, Elizabeth.
I have a feeling my husband has been throwing away seed catalogs. Hmph.
It's fun, isn't it? Our daughter Jenny is excited about gardening this year and Sam's dad is making her a raised bed of her very own!
Did you post a recipe for leek soup at one time? Do you have one?
Take care, friend.
Oh how exciting that you are already looking forward to planting! We have a few months left here of winter/spring mix before spring truly is here and we can plant! I agree that planting in pots is very convenient and can produce a good amount of food! All of it sounds wonderful!
Last year I did not get a garden planted and this year I am eagerly waiting until I can put the seeds into the ground :) What fun, my friend.
Thinking of you! Hugs!
Garden catalogues can be so enticing! It is wise to be prudent in choosing. I'm going to be doing easy stuff this year, but the beds will be filled. Such a wonderful time of year.
I hope you don't mind, I found you here by following your comment on my blog. (Thank you for commenting so faithfully.)
My mother didn't garden or can so I don't know how to do any of that. I think I am going to try growing some vegetables this year, although I believe it requires some knowledge which I don't possess! I guess I'll just plant, see what works and what doesn't, and learn as I go! Hopefully the rabbits won't eat everything.
Mmmm....I can almost see that harvest! Enjoy!
Dear Elizabeth, you had me worried there for a moment...what, no tomatoes? I'm relieved to see that they are very much on your garden list.
All of your choices make excellent sense to me. Wish I lived closer to stop by and help with the weeding! xo
It's so exciting picking out your seeds isn't it? I love seeing plants come to life and then enjoying them later. We have a large vegetable garden that was already here when we purchased the house. We planted lots of seeds in pots last year but as the outdoor work got to be too much, we didn't get things planted and lost them all. How sad! We're hoping this year will be different. We've never grown potatoes in the pots, does it work better this way?
We start getting our seed catalogs in January. It is a bright spot in bleak midwinter, and difficult to not go overboard on ordering seeds. I did order Carmen pepper seeds and Early Girl tomatoes, though, because those are some I can't be assured of finding at the nursery. We have too much land and it's easy to get overly zealous about planting. :-)
looks like you will be off to a good start on your garden veggies. I don't have any space here. I guess I do container gardening but the landlords are kinda funny about that too. :(
isn't it wonderful that Spring is near and the seed catalogues are calling our names.. lol.. Blessings, my dear.. xo
Sounds wonderful - it is an exciting time in the garden.
We have had the best year ever for tomatoes. I like the small heritage ones best but my husband is a stickler for the old beefsteak!
Don't overdo things, all the same a couple of hours with hands in the soil can be great therapy.
Weather still too hot for my liking here but cooler days are ahead!
I didn't grow anything in the greenhouse or any vegetables outside last year, so I am pretty determined to take notice of the seed catalogues and shops this year. I, like you, have to rein it in though to keep enough space to be manageable and not swamped :) Have a good Sunday relaxing through the catalogues xx
Just reading a gardening post this time of year makes me so excited for the coming of spring. I'm hoping to start cleaning up some beds today in preparation. I hope you enjoy your catalogues!
All of my best gardening is in seed catalogs!
Blessings,
Laura
Post a Comment