Monday, 8 February 2016

Kindness.


In the words of an old song, 'Little things mean a lot'.

Random acts of kindness is a term used for those unexpected, unasked for, gifts of thoughtfulness. It maybe from someone you have never seen before, or from a friend or relation, and is always a blessing.

An elderly gentleman in our local shop, ahead of me in the queue, relinquished his place for me 'because he knew I would be in a hurry to get back to my husband'. Unexpected, and so kind.

A neighbour saw that my garden bin had been emptied and dragged it back up the drive for me.

And yesterday, a charming lettercard arrived, out of the blue (as we say here!) from a blogger whom I have 'known' for some years.
It was such an encouragement to know that she thinks of me and prays for us, and that she had spent some time writing to tell me that.
The Columbines on the front are so pretty.


I have been blessed by the emails sent by dear blogging friends, just murmuring that they are praying for me and my husband.
Little acts of kindness.
They go a long way in a day.
Thank you.

Extra good news...my lovely daughter who lives in Vancouver is arriving for a visit this Wednesday!

26 comments:

Sylvia said...

May you continue to be blessed, those random acts sure lifts the spirit and bring sunshine into our day. Enjoy your daughter's visit, time spent together is priceless!

Angela said...

Have a fabulous time with your daughter. Good to know that people are being kind to you - here in Dorset, the binmen pull out our OAP neighbour's bin each Monday, then return it behind his gate, so he does not have to worry. Bless you all as you have time as a family together

Elderberry-Rob said...

You're right, it is small things that make our day brighter, I am glad you have kind neighbours it makes a huge difference - I am lucky as mine are lovely too. Betty x

Melanie said...

What sweet blessings! I had someone ahead of me in the MacDonald's drive thru pay for my coffee once. Have a blessed day.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Beautiful blessings! Random acts of kindness are just the best things, aren't they. Wishing you a wonderful week.

Terri said...

I'm glad that your daughter is coming to visit. I agree, those acts of kindness go a long way towards making us feel blessed!

Have a great day!

bayou said...

How sweet to write about the little gestures and the kindness around you. I can imagine how much you are looking forward to spend some good moments with your daughter. I hope that time goes very slow during these days. Enjoy to the utmost!

Ceil said...

Hi Elizabeth! I'm so glad that you are being showered with little acts of kindness. You have very lovely neighbors! It's so good to know how much loveliness there is in us human beings.
I hope your husband is doing well? And that you continue to be taken well care of. Have a wonderful visit with your daughter! There's nothing better than daughters...
Blessings,
Ceil

Mary said...

So thrilled to know your daughter will be home for a visit soon - hoping her journey goes well. I know you will all have a great visit.
Yes, having thoughtful neighbors is a wonderful thing, especially in later life (I recall how lucky my dear mum was in that respect when I was here so far away). We have super ones, all younger than us, who are very caring and would do almost anything if we asked them - we're still managing OK but the day may come when we'll really need them perhaps. Comforting knowing they would help.

Take care, you and hubby. Sounds like the Westcountry is again having storms.
Hugs - Mary

Pondside said...

That is good news! You will have such a good visit, I know. Late nights and early mornings at the breakfast table - lots to talk about. Enjoy this mother-daughter time.

Jenny said...

Hi Elizabeth, I so agree...the small, quiet, thoughtful moments in our lives are so wonderful and such a blessing. These little acts of kindness can sure brighten up a day :) Enjoy your visit with your daughter....what a special time for you.

Jenny said...

Hi Elizabeth, I so agree...the small, quiet, thoughtful moments in our lives are so wonderful and such a blessing. These little acts of kindness can sure brighten up a day :) Enjoy your visit with your daughter....what a special time for you.

ann said...

Those little acts of kindness do take us a long way whether we are in need or not. I do wish I were a little more thoughtful. To do so does not take much effort; one just has to do it! It will be lovely to have your daughter with you. Enjoy the time together.

Carolien said...

Oh how sweet! And I hope you'll have a wonderful time with your daughter, how nice she's coming over!

Have a nice day & hugs, Carolien

doodles n daydreams said...

It is the small things that say so much, that let you know someone is thinking of you even in a small way. A lovely card. Have a wonderful time with your daughter.

Diana

Lorrie said...

Small kindnesses mean so much to the recipient. Acknowledging them, as you have done, tells much about your kind and grateful character as well. How you must be looking forward to your visit with your daughter!

Christine said...

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit with me! It was lovely to have you stop by!
Those are the sweet little deeds that matter most & give us the uplift we often need!
But that is wonderful news that your daughter is coming for a visit!
Enjoy your time together!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Kindness is sorely underrated! When Dave was ill, the small kindnesses people did for him brought me to tears.

Stephanie said...

Kindness is such a beautiful and precious gift. Thanks for sharing with Roses of Inspriation, dear friend. Have a lovely Valentine's Day! Hugs to you

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

Little things really are the best! A smile, a card, a hug, a kind deed, all simple things that just make the heart brighten up! Have fun with your daughter's visit, I know you will be so glad to have her company! :)

Roses, Lace and Brocante said...

Kindness and thoughtfulness never goes out of fashion and means so much to us when the chips are down.
That's the best news! A visit from your daughter will lift your spirits in a way no one else can - savour every precious moment B - as I know you both will.
Warm hugs and love
Shane

Cranberry Morning said...

And I thought MY daughter lived a long way from home, 2 1/2 hour flight. Wow, that has got to be tough. So nice to hear of the kindness shown you during the week. I've learned that the blogging community is good about upholding one another in prayer. God bless you this day.

Pom Pom said...

And YOU are so good at showing your appreciation because you are so true and good. Hooray for a daughter visit! Delight!

bj said...

Nothing any sweeter than a visit from a daughter.
Have a beautiful time with her...xoxo

Anonymous said...

It's so nice to be able to spend time with your daughter. Enjoy! ♥

Mary E. Stephens said...

What a blessing all those small things were. I don't know if the verse applies so much, but I sometimes think of it anyway - Psalms 86:17 Shew me a token for good; that they which hate me may see it, and be ashamed: because thou, LORD, hast holpen me, and comforted me.

Sometimes those little tokens mean a lot to us!
May you have a lovely visit with your daughter. :-)

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...