Sunday, 24 April 2016

Rhododendrons etc


We are so fortunate to have our local National Trust gardens so near.
Together with my husband's sister and niece, visiting from Surrey, we strolled the paths and admired the array of Rhododendrons and Azaleas.

Nothing quite compares to the carpets of Primroses and Bluebells that are everywhere in the gardens.



Just beyond this lovely swathe of pink Azalea one can catch a glimpse of the water, the channel between our side and the Roseland.

Further round the path we found this grouping of red and pink Azalea.

Trelissick's crowning glory are the huge Rhododendrons .
This one is at the head of the lawn where outdoor theatre is often staged.

Here's another beauty.
I don't know how old these are but I would guess they have been here for many a year.

The sun shone for us, and we had such an enjoyable visit, not to mention a very good Sunday lunch in the Barn restaurant!

21 comments:

bayou said...

How wonderful those pictures are! I can imagine how you enjoyed that stroll and meal. We came back from a journey to the Netherlands, a long weekend in fact and what waited for us here? SNOW! It is supposed to not to be staying but still freezing temperatures are ahead. All the camelias, once bought in Trevarno and for the first time really stunning, are dull now.

Pom Pom said...

Wow! They are BIG! Lovely photos!

Roses, Lace and Brocante said...

Those Rhododendrons and Azaleas are a picture!
Spring is the perfect time for garden visits, everything looks so fresh.
I can imagine how much you both enjoyed this visit and so nice to be in the company of family.

Barb said...

Just heavenly Elizabeth! Lush green, not a cactus in sight!
Sending love and prayers to you and your precious hubby.
xoxo

Carolien said...

Hello Elizabeth,

These are rhododendron trees instead of shrubs, amazing! Thanks for sharing and I'm glad you had a good time together.

Jenny said...

Oh my goodness these are just beautiful! Amazing! Thank you for sharing...I really enjoyed this garden tour :) I am so glad that you had such a good day.

Frances said...

Elizabeth, what a beautiful day graced your visit to this incredible garden. The giant rhododendrons remind me of equally impressive ones I was shown by friends some years ago when I visited them in Surrey. Huge, and full of blooms.
xo

Pondside said...

Such a lovely day! I was wandering in a rhododendron garden this weekend too. I
find myself drawn to the many shades of pink - and to one yellow rhododendron with a gorgeous scent.

ellen b. said...

You were blessed with such nice weather to visit this garden. The Washington State flower is the Rhododendron. We have 4 larger older rhododendrons in our yard and a new little one, too. Azaleas thrive here, too. We must have similar climates.

Jojo said...

What a lovely day! Don't you love seeing everything turning green and all the colors of everything starting to bud and bloom? Those azaleas and rhododendrons are huge. Thanks for taking us on the garden tour with you.

Mary said...

Nothing compares to Spring walks through beautiful gardens. Those HUGE tree-like rhododendrons are amazing. Here in the mountains of North Carolina they also grow wild and reach very large proportions - so gorgeous to see along the roads and babbling creeks.

Mary -

Jemma@athomewithjemma said...

Thank you ever so much for sharing this pretty Spring gardening inspiration with us at the Garden party! Makes my heart happy:)
Rhododendrons are one of my favs:)
Jemma

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Truly gorgeous! I just returned home last week from a two week stay in the Carolinas. We toured Middleton Plantation and attended the Home and Garden festival in Charleston. It truly was a bit of heaven. The Azaleas were breathtaking. Had to buy one after I got home. You never see them around here, but it said it was okay for our zone. We'll see how it does. Thanks for sharing with the garden party. Happy to be a new follower.
hugs,
Jann

Stephanie said...

Such beautiful images, my friend! I can't wait until our trees start to blossom and the flowers begin popping up out of the ground. Just a few more weeks... :)

Hugs and joy to you!

Melanie said...

Thank you for the beautiful stroll through the garden! Lovely. I read a lot about blue bells in the hedgerows of the country side. Your pictures are lovely. Thank you.

Stacey said...

How beautiful! Rhododendrons grow in the south part of the U.S. but I've never had one. They do get so big and beautiful. :)

I'm very glad you joined us today for the garden party.

Art and Sand said...

Oh, what gorgeous gardens.

I need to do some research to see if I can grow rhododendrons in my sandy soil.

Laura said...

I have never grown rhododendrons.
How beautiful!
It is so hot where I live (South Texas), many plants can't handle the heat.

I am so glad you shared this at our Garden Party!
Welcome!

Laura
White Spray Paint

Decor To Adore said...

Oh what joy these blossoms bring! My husbands family lives in Surrey and I always enjoy visiting. Thank you so very much for linking up to the garden party. Your post was completely enchanting.

Sarah said...


lovely! thanks for taking us along.

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

Those rhododendrons are amazing! Like trees, really.

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...