Sunday, 10 April 2016

A garden visit.

This is Trewithen House, a private home near St Austell, but open to the public for part of the year.

Last week we arranged to meet a fellow 'blogger' there, Rosemary of Rosie's Ramblings. I had met Rosemary previously, and we thought it would be a good time to meet up again. The gardens are lovely for a wander.



It wasn't a bad day weather-wise, a bit of sun, a bit of drizzle but warm enough to have a wheelchair walk through the gardens. Not so easy on a gravel surface!
Before we set off we went into the very pleasant tearoom for a cup of coffee.


Those of you familiar with Rosemary's blog will know that her dog, Zac, plays a great part in her walks. Here he is by a remarkable fountain. We scooped out some water for him and he thought it was pretty good, much better than the dog bowl that was available at the Entry to the garden.

This is one of the many beautiful Magnolias in the grounds. It looked like a cloud of spun sugar.



Reminding me of balls of Lemon mousse, this Rhododendron made us gasp as we turned a corner.


I guess it has been growing here for many years.

And as we rolled our way back to the Cafe for lunch, the sun emerged, and I couldn't resist one last Magnolia photo.

20 comments:

Frugally challenged said...

You have such wonderful gardens in Cornwall! I enjoyed several (and enjoyed meeting you!) when I came last year.

Carolien said...

What a lovely place to be and to meet a friend!

Have a good Sunday & love, Carolien

Frances said...

Elizabeth, what a grand opportunity to meet up with Rambler and Zac in beautiful surroundings. Getting together with blog pals is always a delight! xo

Jenny said...

What a beautiful day you had with your friend :) The garden looks just lovely.....a wonderful way to spend a day. Have a good week.

Visits With Mary said...

Loved all your pictures. It is so nice that you had a great day with your friend.

shortybear said...

really lovely

Anonymous said...

What beautiful grounds! I love magnolias, and the rhododendron is so pretty.
What a nice time you must have had visiting with your friend.♥

bayou said...

Nothing better than Cornish gardens! What a great day out, now that spring is there. Good to see that you both enjoyed it!

ellen b. said...

Looks like a great place to meet up for a walk about. Lovely house and grounds. Our little yellow rhododendron has 4 buds on it this year and I'm looking forward to it blooming in a few weeks. Hope you have a lovely week...

Stephanie said...

Oh my, what a lovely and enchanting place, my friend! How I would love to stroll thos beautiful grounds :)

Thinking of you, dear one! Hugs!

Cheryl said...

Oh, how lovely, Elizabeth! You made it so real...I felt like I was there, walking alongside you, taking it all in. I love the beautiful photos, and it is always such joy to meet a blogger friend in real-life! I got to meet Chris Thompson a while back...she blogs at "So Much At Home". It was such a special treat! Thank you for sharing with us about your lovely day and for your precious visit to my blog. I always love to see that you have stopped by!

Lorrie said...

What beautiful rhodos and magnolias. I love the expressions you used - spun sugar and lemon mousse.

Barb said...

Dear Elizabeth! Thank you for visiting me and also for reaching out when my son passed. We do share much and I think of you often with love!
Your photo's are always lovely. What a treasure to meet up with a blogging friend.
I hope to keep blogging. xoxo

ann said...

Oh to be in England in the spring, as Robert Browning wrote. Looks like you had a wonderful day out. I'll have to visit Rosey.

baili said...

hope you enjoyed your visit , pics are nice ,stay blessed

Lynn said...

Magnolias are wonderful.
L.x.

Lynn said...

Magnolias are wonderful.
L.x.

Pom Pom said...

How fun! Yes, the yellow rhodie is amazing! You're so good about going out and having fun, soaking up humanity!

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

How wonderful to share such a beautiful excursion with a fellow blogger and her sweet pup! I loved all the flower pictures, so beautiful! Have a blessed day :)

Roses, Lace and Brocante said...

What a great way to spend the day and good to hear the facilities were wheelchair friendly.
Oh wow that Magnolia is a picture, Spring is a special time in the home garden but even more so in these lovely old stately gardens because of the established flowering trees and shrubs like Rhododendrums.
I don't know Rosemary but I'll pop over now and say hello!
Nice to see you had good weather too.
Shane

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...