I read A Lot. My primary school teacher used to drag me out of the library corner and force me to go out to play. So unkind.
Because I can't now slip off to the Library in Truro, and because the mobile library comes only once a month, I have to rely on my Kindle. Yes, I know it isn't the same as holding a 'real' book, breathing in its pages, peeking at the end, flipping back over the pages, feeling the weight of it in your hands.
But it's practical, and I can call up titles that I might not otherwise see. Naturally as it's Christmas I am reading the much loved Winter Solstice. Again. In proper book form too.
But reading some of the 'light', very, fiction recently and being horrified at the lack of grammatical editing, (example 'Her and Mike drove off to the market'), I got to the point of (almost) hurling the Kindle across the room and bellowing 'I could write this rubbish!)'
To compete, my book would have to have the following.
Girl, maybe in her thirties, starting a new life after divorce/break up........
A house, left to her by a grandparent/great aunt/godmother, maybe in France/Tuscany.., needing some repair.
Her best friend who visits and tries to match her up with every available man.
Kindly elderly neighbour lady ready to provide advice and listening ear.
A builder who obviously isnt a cross elderly man, but is good looking, well built, and generally attractive. And can speak perfect French. Of course. Available immediately to do the repairs. None of your waiting three months for a start date.
Lots of baking, 'cookies' a speciality. Work magically completed so Girl can open up a Bed and Breakfast. Has anyone thought about the rules and regulations that accompany this in another country?
Girl and builder fall in love. Then she hears him on the phone to 'Another' so sends him on his way, not interested in his explanations that he was talking to his sister/grandmother/dog..... Eventually , with intervention from best friend and/or neighbour , all is resolved. Happy Ending.
Will it sell?
Do forgive me for being a touch cynical. Have you come across similar 'light fiction'? Maybe it just shows how poor my reading tastes are at the minute. Or maybe I've had too many free titles on Kindle.
Going quietly off to the kitchen to make some mince pies.

22 comments:
I definitely think your book would sell! I too have read some ‘easy fiction’ during this strange time but it is a bit like sugary food - nice while you are eating it but ultimately unsatisfying. Every book does not have to be a literary classic but I do think that the author needs to make the reader care about the characters. My favorite at the moment - murder most foul! The case solved by a disfunctional demoted police detective with the hope of rehabilitation in a murky future! Enjoy your mince pies!
My "light" fiction is usually some sort of murder mystery. Your story would definitely sell and it sounds a lot like every Hallmark movie ever made. lol
I think you've nailed the plot line of too many easy fiction novels. I'm an avid reader, too, and have tried a couple of new authors this season that were recommended, but the stories lack veracity and substance. Rosamunde Pilcher's Winter Solstice is a perennial favourite here - it's believable and written so beautifully.
I hope the mince pie baking was restorative.
Sounds a lot like all the Hallmark movies we have been watching lately! :) I did finally start reading the latest in the Inspector Gamache series by Louise Penny. I'm going to start a new to me children's trilogy next. Merry Mince Pie baking to you!
I have a friend who calls these kinds of books 'cotton candy' books...there is just no substance to them. It's like watching a Hallmark movie.
It is so very hard to find good fiction to read. You have to sift through a lot of bad books to find a good one. So, if I don't like the book by around pg 20 I stop reading & start another.
Right now I am reading (aloud to my husband because we enjoy reading a book together) 'Will the Circle be Unbroken: a memoir of learning to believe you're gonna be okay' by Sean Dietrich. I love Sean's blog (Sean of the South) so I know I'll love this book.
I just finished reading 'The Judge's Bride' by Patricia PacJac Carroll..what a name! It's a mail order bride book & I enjoy them when they're well written. This one was pretty good but not spectacular.
Please share what you're reading. I always love hearing about a good book.
Here's what I think: Write that book. Self publish--just for the heck of it on Amazon. We're in a pandemic. People are reading. You might surprise yourself. Mince pie. Mom used to make mince meat pie with deer meat. Dad hunted every year. It was full of spices and raisins, orange, and apple. I don't know if people make it anymore. Right now I am reading Jefferson's Daughters--the story of Thomas Jefferson and his 3 daughters. Two by his wife and one by his slave/mistress. Jefferson was one of our foundling fathers and our 3rd President.
Me? Lucy has sent me her essay to "grade." Have a wonderful Friday.
I sometimes just need a fluffy read. I also think you should write that book. I know it would sell.
God bless.
The last half dozen books wonderfully described on Amazon/books have been so disappointing that I'm just going to reread my old favourites. I thought I owned Winter Solstice but going through my shelves I find I don't but I did unearth a small Rosamunde Pilcher called The Key. It's only 58 pages but I have no doubt I will enjoy it.
I too think your book would sell there are so many really "easy" books out there these days yours would surely be better written and no less saleable! One of my pet hates is the use of the word "her" when is should be "she" it seems to crop up everywhere these days. Where is the possession in going to market?!!
I'd read it! I really struggle with books which have not been properly proofread and contain grammatical errors, or impossible activities. I'm still ranting about the Radio 4 play I listened to recently where the girl gave her flatmate her dressmaking scissors to force the lock on a suitcase! Somebody should have told Lord Ted Willis that NO needleworker would ever allow such misuse of precious tools.
I think you have got it cracked for your very own book, a great storyline. I am predicting it will become a bestseller, lol!
Oh yes, where would we be wityhout books?! Which reminds me that I badly need to pick up my favourite Christmas book: The Willows at Christmas. I read it every year and it's a great tradition :)
Good luck with the mince pies, so lovely British!!!
Hugs and have a good weekend, Carolien
I am reading Winter Solstice right now and loving this perennial favourite.
There is a lot of awful writing out there. It's like mining for gold, a lot of false gold but once in a while you find a gem. It's the gem that keeps us looking.
I'm sorry you can't get to your library these days. Ours is closed right now to in-house visits due to Covid restrictions. But with appointments, patrons can pick up books they've reserved. Thank goodness for Kindle, it helps when there is no other way.
Wishing you a pleasant weekend, Barbara.
Brenda xo
I can see you definitely could be writing that book! I too get fed up sometimes with poor grammer in books. I am just going to email you as I think there are resources at your library to read books at home on your laptop. If I was to write a book it would have to be about two children who discover a magical object in an old junk shop, the object would grant wishes and the children would get into all kinds of time travelling adventures as their object would transport them to other times and places on request.
Yes, feel the same way when I've picked up and started some similar fiction books - just can't get into the same shallow story retold with different names, locations and hair colors!!!!
My favorite books this year have been leaning toward nature in the British countryside - especially by author John Lewis-Stempel. Next, an Elizabeth Goudge read, The Scent of Water, is awaiting on the nightstand - decided some older classics might bring more excitement! Do you enjoy her books?
Hope all is well there.
Hugs, Mary
So many new books are formulaic just like Hallmark movies! I understand your frustration!
I do like an uplifting story and don't mind a bit of romance, but some are so badly written that I just can't continue reading them. I askmyself, "Am I really bothered about what happens next?" and very often it's a firm "NO!" so that's the end of that. Grammatical mistakes and errors set my teeth on edge . . 'She could of done better' instead of 'could HAVE . . ' Grrrrr!
I am confident a book you write will never be a hackneyed old story line...even though many folks like hohum romance stories.
I am not a romance novel fan.
Too cute, Barbara! Maybe you should write a mystery?
I enjoyed your post and musings! I have this R P book but have not fully read it; clearly I should give it a go!
for a children's book it is hard to beat the 'Children of Greene Knowe' series; the first one is set over Christmas. I'm going to look up that Rosamund Pilcher... the book I'm reading at the moment is getting a bit gritty...
LOL!!!! Your synopsis is right on the money!!! I've become tired of the same old thing too. I'll be emailing you soon, my friend. Lots of love and prayers for you and yours.
Post a Comment