Tuesday, 15 December 2020

Third Advent Candle

Arriving a bit late to Angela's' Pause in Advent. 

The third candle is pink.

It's known as the Gaudete (Rejoice) candle.

There is a lovely medieval Carol called Gaudete, which we were listening to on Sunday, and thinking a bit about Rejoicing.

 Although this year hasnt been one that held much rejoicing, there are things we can still be joyful for. This awful pandemic seems to have swept so many thousands of people away. We can rejoice in being alive. Rejoice in seeing and hearing the lovely things around us, the kindness of friends, the unexpected moments of joy.

Rejoice in the knowledge that we have a Saviour by our side throughout.


15 comments:

Elderberry-Rob said...

I hadn't heard of a gaudete candle, that's a nice calming thought to pause on, thank you.

Deanna Rabe said...

I'm going to find that hymn and listen to it! Rejoice, indeed, our savior has come!

mamasmercantile said...

I have never heard the hymn either, I am going to try and find it too.

Angela said...

Never too late to post! Gaudete is a beautiful carol [here's a link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDc2FD-vy8M] There ARE still things to rejoice about in all these dark days. I have a new great-niece born last week - new life is a sign of hope...but greater still, the hope we have in our Saviour. Thanks for this lovely post

Visits With Mary said...

He is always by our side, Thank You Lord.

elizabeth said...

yes, with Christ we can still rejoice! lovely. God bless you dear friend! and your Husband and family!

Anonymous said...

Barbara, I am not familiar with that carol but it certainly sounds uplifting. Amen to rejoicing in the little things. xo

ellen b. said...

I'll have to look up that carol and play it on You-tube. Rejoice always...

Jackie said...

The lighting of the pink candle has always brought me joy. And the realization that Advent and the waiting is almost over.

God bless.

Cheryl said...

Even if there is no other cause for rejoicing, we can rejoice in Immanuel who redeemed us and walks alongside!

Off to research that carol . . .

Connie said...

The apostle Paul said, "Rejoice in the Lord always, again I say rejoice". When hard times are on us we still need to find that place in our heart where we can rejoice. Hallelujah! We have a Savior that loves us dearly. Who is with us right now and will be through eternity.
Merry Christmas dear friend.

Alex said...

Rejoicing with you, Barbara! The King is coming!Xx

Lorrie said...

I knew the third Sunday of Advent was Gaudete, but I didn't know there was a hymn by that name. I'll look it up. I rejoice that Christ came and is with us always.

Elizabethd said...

It isnt a well known Carol, but is rather lovely.

KirstenM said...

Gaudete, sung by Steeleye Span, is one of my favourite carols. I used to use it every year for a music lesson with the youngest children; one group would wait while the first group marched round the hall for the chorus, and then they stood still while the other group danced through the verses. One of the best lessons with tired children at the end of a busy term.

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...