Sunday, 10 September 2023

'I wish I lived in a caravan'......

 That's the title of a poem that my mother used to read to me, and it came into my mind today. A couple of miles away from my village is a Caravan Park, with a little cafe open to all locals, where you can get a very good  cup of coffee. 


Today the Park was about half full, many of the holiday makers having returned home now.


There are grassy spaces for all the vans, some big, some small, and some even having an extra 'room' with a tent attached. I remember the huge RVs we saw in Canada, but nothing was similar here.

This is the poem ,written by W.B. Rands, 1823-1882. He was often called 'The Laureate of the Nursery' and wrote many verses for children, as well as 'Chaucer's England'. Coming from a devout but poor family, he was largely self educated, and managed to find employment in a solicitor's office. Later he became a Foreign correspondent, speaking both Greek and Latin.


I wish I lived in a caravan,
With a horse to drive, like the pedlar man!
Where he comes from nobody knows,
Or where he goes to, but on he goes!

His caravan has windows, two,
And a chimney of tin, that the smoke comes through;
He has a wife, with a baby brown,
And they go riding from town to town!

"Chairs to mend and delf to sell!"
He clashes the basins like a bell;
Tea-trays, baskets, ranged in order,
Plates with the alphabet round the border!

The roads are brown and the sea is green,
But his house is just like a bathing machine;
The world is round and he can ride,
Rumble and splash to the other side!

With the pedlar-man I should like to roam,
And write a book when I came home;
All the people would read my book,
Just like the Travels of Captain Cook!

***********************************************8

Maybe the second verse would be deemed politically incorrect now, but that was then.

I don't think I would really like to live in a caravan!



15 comments:

Mrs. White said...

It looks like a beautiful park. I have never heard of that poem. It was so sweet to read. It gives one much to think about. Have a wonderful week!

Angela said...

Personally I think the old fashioned horse drawn caravan sounds much more romantic than the modern one towed behind the car, with an inflatable awning, built in shower, and air fryer in the minuscule kitchenette. But I guess the new one is probably more comfortable!

Cheryl said...

It is a sweet moment when we suddenly revisit a childhood memory!

elizabeth said...

That's really delightful thank you ❤️

Granny Marigold said...

A pretty and simple poem. I started by looking up W.B.Rands, and half an hour later I'm back, having dipped into some of his other poems. Thank you for introducing this poet.

Poppypatchwork said...

Nice poem, nice memory, nice place for coffee and cake.

Anonymous said...

I don’t think I’d like to live in a caravan but I’ve always wanted an old, vintage caravan as a garden feature! 😁

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

Thank you for that lovely poem. I remember holidays with the children when they were little. I'm afraid I require a little more comfort now.
I've been catching up with friends blogs today after a break from posting. I'm glad you enjoyed your holiday in Italy and hope you also enjoyed your birthday celebrations. Thank you for the tomato soup recipe. I shall enjoy making it.
Beautiful flowers from your garden and lovely to pick a few for indoors.
Beverley (formally meandmysmallcorner)

ellen b. said...

Sweet memory. Glad you found some good coffee there and memories, too. I don't think I'd like to live in a caravan but traveling in one and staying in it instead of a tent would be great!

Catherine said...

Very nice poem and a nice place for memories and a good coffee!
( I like Roscoff very much and Brittany the sea side is beautiful)

Visits With Mary said...

I loved the poem♥ As a little girl I lived in a caravan for a while, it was fun. My Dad traveled with his work and my Mom wanted to be with him, so a caravan became our home.

Jackie said...

Lovely poem, but like you I don't think I could live in a caravan (or travel trailer as we quite often call them) for more than a month.

God bless.

jabblog said...

Maybe the 'baby, brown' referred to it being sunburnt from spending much time outdoors. Too much 'woke' these days;-)

Lorrie said...

I just read this poem aloud to Tim and he said, "I do live in a caravan!" And so we do, for now. It's not huge like many we've seen on our travels, but it does for the two of us. However pleasant traveling in a caravan is, I am looking forward to being at home!

Rambler said...

I thoroughly enjoyed living in a caravan for 5 years; loved it so much that I also bought a small 2-berth, elderly caravan that I towed and used for holidays away. I've camped in various tents, too and even now, at 78 years old I spend any holidays in Caravans in the far west of Cornwall. I gave up my tent just before the first Covid lockdown. I think I'm Gypsy Rose!
- Rosemary

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...