Wednesday, 29 May 2024

A query

 Thank you for all the lovely comments on my little garden corner. We have had a little sunshine but not enough!

I have a query and would be interested in your experiences. I have to have an operation for knee surgery later this year and am wondering if anyone has any thoughts or experience of this, particularly of the after care necessary.

No knee photos, but Foxgloves and Geums instead. Much nicer.




13 comments:

Sandi said...

Beautiful photo.

Knee surgery seems common. I bet they know what to have you do as far as physical therapy afterwards. I would just do what they say. :)

I heard of someone in her mid 80's having a hip replaced. She was up and around fairly quickly and healed just fine. I would imagine the recovery process if similar.

Mary said...

Dearest friend, sorry to hear you will require a knee surgery - will it be a complete knee replacement? If so, I know several people who've had that surgery and thankfully all have done extremely well with great outcome and relief from pain. That said, the recuperation is rather lengthy - compared to hip replacement which is usually easier.
Knee surgery requires good follow-up and PT. My cousin David and his wife in Torquay have both had knee replacements (his was done in Plymouth), and are both now awaiting their second knee surgeries!
You will need help at home for a while I think.........wish I could be the one assisting you!
We think of you so much B and send love and good wishes.
Your flowers are lovely BTW - Mary & Bob xx

🌺 Debby/From My Shasta Home said...

I had a knee replacement about five years ago. They got me on my feet about six hours after surgery. I wore this knee sleeve with special clay ice packs around the clock. Ice was my friend and I used it for pain. I was only on the prescribed opiates for about 3-4 days and then I slowly came off them. No issues whatsoever. Physical therapy at home started once I got home. That was for about 2-3 weeks, and then I was ready for physical therapy 3 times a week, and it was a godsend. I borrowed a walker from a friend who had surgery - I didn't use it for that long. I never used a cane because I didn't want to become dependent on it. It really isn't a bad surgery. I am glad I got it down because I am no longer sitting on the sidelines of life.

I've had a rotator cuff surgery and that is a hard one to recover from.

Best wishes for you on your future surgery. May it go as smoothly as mine did.

Lorrie said...

I have no advice to add, but hope that your surgery, whenever it happens, will go smoothly and that your recovery will be complete.

Granny Marigold said...

My husband has had both knees replaced. The first surgery went very well and recovery was quick. The second surgery was a little more complicated and healing took longer. I hope your surgery will go as smoothly as possible.

ellen b. said...

I have no knee surgery experience. I pray that yours will go well. I'm guessing your home is a single story. I think it would be helpful not to have stairs to deal with. Hope the end of May goes well for you.

Connie said...

Your foxgloves are beautiful.
I haven't had knee surgery, but under the impression that recovery is not something you want to do alone.

KirstenM said...

Praying for smooth experience; a friend at church had knee surgery and after the first few days (which, to be honest, she found hard going) made a swift recovery.

Visits With Mary said...

I'm sorry, I don't have any experience with knee surgery. I'm saying a prayer that it goes well for you.♥

Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

I'm sorry you have to think about knee surgery, Barbara. My mom had it done and she's really glad she did it.

For her it was a long haul. Tons of icing to keep the swelling down. Exercising and physio therapy, too, were key in getting her full mobility and back on her feet. I stayed with her for the first couple of weeks, until she felt okay to stay on her own. They told her it would take a year for a complete recovery. It took that long for her. I don't know if that is common, but that was my mom's experience.

I've heard from other people who had the knee surgery, who did not do their due diligence with the instructions in those early weeks post-surgery, and they never regained full mobility. My mom did her best to do what was necessary.

Wishing and asking for good surgeons and medical team for you.
Brenda xo

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

The three people that I know who have had knee replacement surgery, all reovered and healed well. The first week or so may be rough getting around, but otherwise, they are very pleased with the results.

Terri said...

I've had two meniscus surgeries and the main thing is to do the exercises they give you to do regardless of how you feel. It's the thing that helped me heal fairly quickly.

Catherine said...

My mother had a knee surgery and she has had three weeks re-education but she could walk very early.
Hope it goes well for you and that you’ll have a quick recovery

Little patches of colour

  Despite the drought and the effect it has had on gardens, there is still some colour around. I have a dry brownish lawn but in the flower ...