The nation was asked to show their appreciation of the work that the hard pressed NHS is doing at this time of crisis.
At 8pm a 'Clap for our Carers' was scheduled.
People were asked to follow the lead of the Italians in stepping out on doorsteps and balconies to say thank you with a clap.
Somehow it was incredibly touching to step outside our door at 8pm and join in with the clapping coming from most of the houses in our little close, most of whose residents are elderly.
I'm sure it was echoed across the nation.

15 comments:
I think our street must be a miserable lot as I opened my door and clapped but couldn't see or hear any of my neighbours doing the same although there was a sound of clapping from other roads! I don't think our neighbours know what community is sadly.
That's really sad.
Oh, that's so special. You must have a little close full of warm hearts.
Wow, that is something special for sure!
I am clapping...Now.
I am clapping for you all, Barbara. What a lovely touching act of love!
I saw that was planned today from BBC and from my English friends on Instagram. Such a good thing to do. With love from America.
What a fine idea!
A nice way to show appreciation.
In some cities here (Vancouver is one) residents come out at 7 and clap for the people on the front lines. It's heartening to see.
I banged my frying pan, another neighbour banged saucepan lids and everyone in the road came out to clap, it was a really nice feeling of togetherness.
We saw a vidoe of the little royal highnesses clapping. That was very touching! We do have so much to be thankful for in the middle of this crisis. BTW, I'm blogging again off and on.
I think that is so special!
Clapping has always been uplifting and now it's more important than ever that we show our thanks to the first responders everywhere!
Stay well dears.
I had read about the clapping in appreciation for the health workers on another British blog. What a sweet thing to do.
I clicked over to you from Sara's blog (in San Diego). I too live on the Pacific, just farther north.
Post a Comment